Dropped support of PHP4

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ameeck

Dropped support of PHP4

Post by ameeck »

As you may have notices, it looks like phpBB is dropping support for PHP versions prior to 5.1

I don't know if it is something which was know but I am quite surprised…though I welcome it :-)

The CVS statistics will give you more:
http://area51.phpbb.com/statcvs/

Also look at the number of lines of code :D dropping almost 50k in one series of commits
Please think before you post.

DavidMJ

Re: Dropped support of PHP4

Post by DavidMJ »

In the next few days, more and more code should be translated into proper PHP 5.1 support. If after a week, you may post bugs related to the PHP 5.1 work here (assuming we don't get the bug tracker online) Until then, please hold bugs to yourselves. Right them down somewhere ;)
Freedom from fear

DBM

Post by DBM »

Hmmm, that's slightly worrying for me as my current hosts are still using php 4.4.4.

So in the unlikely event that any major bugs are found in 3.0.0, does this mean any updates won't run on php4?

What happens if my host does upgrade the server to php5 anyway? Does the board automatically adjust or do I have to reinstall?

ameeck

Post by ameeck »

No, if your host upgrades, phpBB will be working fine without any action from your side, it will actually be working better probably :-)

As for the support of PHP4. 3.0.x will be supporting versions prior to 5.1.0, look at the topic in phpBB3 Discussion on phpBB.com, some questions have been answered there. PHP5 will be required for the next major release -> phpBB 3.2
Please think before you post.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

DBM wrote:Hmmm, that's slightly worrying for me as my current hosts are still using php 4.4.4.
As of January 1st, 0:00 hours (midnight), 2008. PHP4 is no longer supported by The PHP Group. Therefore it makes no sense for phpBB to release software here forward that supports an unsupported version of PHP.
There are many things that PHP5 allows us to do that PHP4 does not have the capability of doing, so this change is a very good move.
DBM wrote:So in the unlikely event that any major bugs are found in 3.0.0, does this mean any updates won't run on php4?
3.0.x will support PHP4, it is 3.2+ that will support PHP 5.1+ only.
DBM wrote:What happens if my host does upgrade the server to php5 anyway? Does the board automatically adjust or do I have to reinstall?
3.0.x is made to work on PHP4 or PHP5 regardless of what you have setup, the software detects the version automatically, so you won’t need to do anything.

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Highway of Life wrote:
DBM wrote:So in the unlikely event that any major bugs are found in 3.0.0, does this mean any updates won't run on php4?
3.0.x will support PHP4, it is 3.2+ that will support PHP 5.1+ only.
How come the team chose not to align with the GoPHP5 initiative and move all the way up to PHP 5.2? Or is that answered elsewhere?

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Can you give me a single feature of PHP 5.2 that we could use? That is mainly the issue.
Freedom from fear

GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

DavidMJ wrote:Can you give me a single feature of PHP 5.2 that we could use? That is mainly the issue.
Ah, I see. I think the main argument for PHP 5.2 over PHP 5.1 is the inclusion of PDO by default.

See these links below for more information (though you probably already have):
http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration52.php (alternative "docs" link)
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo.php (alternative "docs" link)

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

This would matter if I liked PDO. However, PDO has multiple issues with it being a viable candidate to host a phpBB DBAL (using SQLite, try to do an UPDATE query inside of a loop, this loop is the "while" part of a SELECT query. Also, the "UPDATE" query has a transaction around it)
Freedom from fear

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

phpBB2 has worked on PHP5, but you weren't supporting it. You can do the same with phpBB 3.2 and PHP 5.1 and join the GoPHP5 project. Any script, that can alone push the webservers to go to PHP5, doesn't exist. But when all most popular scripts will try to push them, they will just have to upgrade.
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support