phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

We do not even know what all the planned features are for 3.2. Sorry, but you won't get an even close estimate if they would give you one. They only work on it when they want to and have time. It may only take 200 (just throwing a number out) hours of work yet, but that 200 hours could be done in a month or a year. Maybe you can work on it for 8 hours in a row one day and then not again for a month.
User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Eelke »

If you've heard this before:
iWisdom wrote:It'll be available the day after the day before it's done.
I'm surprised you've never heard that before:
EXreaction wrote:It may only take 200 (just throwing a number out) hours of work yet, but that 200 hours could be done in a month or a year. Maybe you can work on it for 8 hours in a row one day and then not again for a month.
Development of phpBB 3.0 started in 2001 (than planned as phpBB 2.2). It was released in 2007, and there were several occasions in between, where the team (despite the policy of not giving out timelines) could not resist saying "real soon now". There really is no point in giving estimates. When there are release candidates, you can start to prepare for a release. And even then you might be waiting quite long.
statm1
Registered User
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:58 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by statm1 »

Well, in my opinion, its better to say that Milestone 1 hasn't been reached yet so there is not a way of saying when it will be available. Then to be sarcastic.
ToonArmy
Registered User
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by ToonArmy »

There is a possibility it will be done before 2013 :)
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM
Image
timendum
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by timendum »

Here i am with a feature request:
I think the new permission system is great, with roles, etc... BUT, it's hard to maintain it in a very large board.
IE i'm admin on a board with 100 forum/subforums. If i want to create a new role (like Read/Bump, not write), i have to set the right permission setting on each forum/subforum on my board... it's a HUGE work to do..

A "global" permission setting would be very useful, so i would set the same permission on the board.
User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Eelke »

I don't think a global permission is the answer to this. Possibly an improved user interface, that makes it easier to replicate permissions from one forum to (potentially many) others. I don't have enough experience with the current system to say whether that is really needed, though.
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

Eelke wrote:I don't think a global permission is the answer to this. Possibly an improved user interface, that makes it easier to replicate permissions from one forum to (potentially many) others. I don't have enough experience with the current system to say whether that is really needed, though.
They already did that. Just select all the forums, in the first one select the role or permissions you want and hit the select all under that first permissions setting and it will select all of the forums and allow you to set them all to the same as the first one.
User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Eelke »

Like I said, not enough experience :) Good one.
User avatar
Kellanved
Former Team Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Kellanved »

timendum wrote:Here i am with a feature request:
I think the new permission system is great, with roles, etc... BUT, it's hard to maintain it in a very large board.
IE i'm admin on a board with 100 forum/subforums. If i want to create a new role (like Read/Bump, not write), i have to set the right permission setting on each forum/subforum on my board... it's a HUGE work to do..

A "global" permission setting would be very useful, so i would set the same permission on the board.

Just change the role - it will change the permission everywhere.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Malphas
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Malphas »

statm1 wrote:I realize and understand the reasoning behind the teams reluctance to say any sort of timetable for the release of 3.0. But, I hope the teams reconsider being as discourteous to the noob that registers and simply asks when 3.2 is going to be out. It is inevitable for there to be a large amount of requests in the year(s) to come, so getting mad that they keep asking is pointless. You can tell them the progress without being sarcastic. Like iwisdom did afterwards. You can say it will not be available until after the development process is over and that since Milestone 1 hasn't even been begun then a specific date cannot be determined.

Now Im sure there are shorter ways of saying that without being sarcastic. But, hopefully the gist of what I am trying is pretty clear. Just be nicer this time around. The sayings like "It'll be available the day after the day before it's done" is just put offing. You don't continue building new users that way and I am not picking on you iwisdom, you just happen to be the last to have said it..
I completely agree. That would be much more professional and hopefully improve phpBB's (and to an extent open software in general) image.
Post Reply