phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Alfatrion

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Alfatrion »

I would like to be able to mod the board by clicking on "Moderator Control Panel" directly instead of moving to the forum and then click on "Moderator Control Panel".

And is it possible to disable the TEAM display? I've searched for a switch but couldn't find it.
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

yutt

Post by yutt »

Alfatrion, those are both rather minor style changes that are entirely possible with the current release. You should ask for assistance in the Style Development forum.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

yutt,
I second your first request for an {USER_AVATAR} variable for the current user moved to functions.php. But what other variables were you referring to?

Your second suggestion seems a bit extreme for styles, at current, there are quite a few language entries (hundreds), and adding additional language file(s) could mean problems when you go into multiple translations and their compatibility back with the custom styles.
I could see it potentially working, but not without jumping through a bunch of hoops to be truly useful, and the payoff I think would not really be that great.

Novan

Post by Novan »

For 3.2 I also would like to see a Mod language inclusion system. But what is a language inclusion system you might ask you.
In phpBB 3.0 there exists in the language root directory a directory called "mods" where mod authors can save their mod language files.
My wish is now, that this "mods" directory is from the structure identical to the language root directory only without the "mods" directory.
If a phpBB language core file is included by phpBB the system look in this mod directory if there is also within the same path a file with identical name. If the system found one it include it too.

Why such a system?
It a little contribution not to modify the phpBB core language files for modding and make updates easier. I have written for my phpBB 3.0 installation such a modification and its very²³ useful in my eyes if I want to install new mods or a new version of phpBB has language updates.

yutt

Post by yutt »

Highway of Life wrote:yutt,
I second your first request for an {USER_AVATAR} variable for the current user moved to functions.php. But what other variables were you referring to?
Well, I am just getting into this, so I am sure some are more familiar. However.

At the very least, all current user variables possible; such as signature, rank, age, location, etc.

I know these may seem like minor changes, but all of this allows a lot more creative freedom.
Highway of Life wrote:Your second suggestion seems a bit extreme for styles, at current, there are quite a few language entries (hundreds), and adding additional language file(s) could mean problems when you go into multiple translations and their compatibility back with the custom styles.
I think the benefit would be that it would be trivial in most cases for an admin to get a simple translation for a custom style. Currently you are very heavily restricted on wording. Just as a few examples I noticed in English: "Admin", "Help", "Administrate" never appear in English. Maybe just expanding the available dictionary would suffice.

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 »

I know its way to early to start planning, but I wonder how far along the next version is? Anyone have any info? About how long has the development process been taking?

Phil

Post by Phil »

It'll be available the day after the day before it's done. As for progress, Milestone 1 hasn't even been reached yet, so it's a ways off.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

statm1

Post by statm1 »

I realize and understand the reasoning behind the teams reluctance to say any sort of timetable for the release of 3.0. But, I hope the teams reconsider being as discourteous to the noob that registers and simply asks when 3.2 is going to be out. It is inevitable for there to be a large amount of requests in the year(s) to come, so getting mad that they keep asking is pointless. You can tell them the progress without being sarcastic. Like iwisdom did afterwards. You can say it will not be available until after the development process is over and that since Milestone 1 hasn't even been begun then a specific date cannot be determined.

Now Im sure there are shorter ways of saying that without being sarcastic. But, hopefully the gist of what I am trying is pretty clear. Just be nicer this time around. The sayings like "It'll be available the day after the day before it's done" is just put offing. You don't continue building new users that way and I am not picking on you iwisdom, you just happen to be the last to have said it..

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 »

iWisdom wrote:It'll be available the day after the day before it's done.
Really?? Wow, never heard that before..... :roll: I wasn't asking for a specific date, just how things were progressing......