phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by Paul »

statm1 wrote:The Mod Manager is not even at beta stage right now. So that is why there isn't a download link. It is being developed by maybe two or three people alongside their duties on the site as well as life and thats why it is being developed slowly.. Please dont get discouraged with phpBB.. It might just take alittle while to get used to from using SMF. :D
Thats actually not true. Its developed by donought, whats his only duty to do. Developing it isnt easy so it takes some time.

statm1

Post by statm1 »

Well, I could of sworn seeing at least two people talk about helping with it.. I appolgize..lol

Paul

Post by Paul »

We use (and fix) it sometimes, but his task is mainly working on it.

fitnfree

Post by fitnfree »

Okay, thanks I'm trying to hang in there as patiently as I can...

tupeu

Post by tupeu »

How close are we to the phpBB 3.2.0 ?
I look once or twice a week inside the phpBB Code Forge to see how things go and yesterday a saw this:

10:06 PM Revision 8565: some adjustements (changes to sessions code need to be backwards-compatible) - hen...
some adjustements (changes to sessions code need to be backwards-compatible) -
henry, do not forget to include this into your merge to 3.2.x too.
acydburn

http://code.phpbb.com/projects/activity/5

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

tupeu wrote:How close are we to the phpBB 3.2.0 ?
I would say... still within the planning phase. The checkins you see are mostly merges to checkin fixes for bugs within the 3.0.x line.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Oh yes, I just remembered one thing I'd really like for 3.2, though it may already be planned...

I really think the attachments system needs some reworking so that it can be used with other mods. Right now, to use it in a different mod, you pretty much need to copy all the code then change a few lines to remove the forum_id stuff. I think you can make the system work much better without having it worry about the forum_id's except in a separate function to check permission, etc, and you can send all the allowed attachments with a variable.

I assume something like that is planned with 3.2 already though since you are going to be re-working the posting, right?

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

One thing that is annoying me at the moment it that there seems to be no function to ad forums. :(

Yeah, that's all I want. :lol:

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

god0fgod wrote:One thing that is annoying me at the moment it that there seems to be no function to ad forums. :(
There is, if you utilize the acp_forums class - there are methods to add/change forums.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

EXreaction wrote:Oh yes, I just remembered one thing I'd really like for 3.2, though it may already be planned...

I really think the attachments system needs some reworking so that it can be used with other mods. Right now, to use it in a different mod, you pretty much need to copy all the code then change a few lines to remove the forum_id stuff. I think you can make the system work much better without having it worry about the forum_id's except in a separate function to check permission, etc, and you can send all the allowed attachments with a variable.

I assume something like that is planned with 3.2 already though since you are going to be re-working the posting, right?
The posting will be re-worked, yes. As for polls, attachments, generally everything "attached" or "connected" to a post/topic may be stored and handled by a container system. This is something we had in mind as a possibility to streamline everything connected to posts. Then, you would simply have container attached to posts with a specific container type (be it now an attachment or something else). But this is rough planning...