phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
code reader

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by code reader »

Highway of Life wrote:
dkarlovi wrote: * user's gender field
Custom profile field, 5 second addition to your board. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to program it in. ;)
the thing is this: many languages distinguish between male and female form.
adding gender field to phpbb code would allow translators to do something like this:
at beginning of language file:
$female = $user->gender == "female";

and then, later on, for any particular string:
'SEND_PRIVATE_MESSAGE' => $female ? 'female form of string' : 'male form of string',

while leaving the non-gender-sensitive entries as-is.
having a custom-profile field with gender does not help. first, it would be individual to every board, and worse, the custom-profile fields are not accessible through the $user variables.

of course, English doesn't have this distinction, so it may be a little difficult to understand for an English-only speaker...

dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

code reader wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:
dkarlovi wrote: * user's gender field
Custom profile field, 5 second addition to your board. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to program it in. ;)
the thing is this: many languages distinguish between male and female form.
I can't believe I haven't thought of this although I've noticed it before. In croatian you have different form of word for male and female gender, for example:

"Poruku poslao Mario" (eng. "The message was sent by Mario")
"Poruku poslala Helga" (eng. "The message was sent by Helga")

You can't switch them around or use one form for both genders so in phpBB's croatian translation this gets translated as "Poslao/la" which isn't all that nice. This isn't the only example of this, naturally.

code reader

Post by code reader »

unfortunately, only the gender of the person currently logged-in can be easily available. making the gender of each post sender available will require more coding than just adding a gender-field and manipulating the language files. it will actually require some meaningful code changes, actually more in-line with phpbb2 style, where the php code had to explicitly assign the language strings, rather than the whole $user-lang[] array being available to the template "automatically".
still, for languages that do distinguish, many strings can/should be adjusted, such as "send message" or "read private messages" etc.

dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

code reader wrote:unfortunately, only the gender of the person currently logged-in can be easily available. making the gender of each post sender available will require more coding than just adding a gender-field and manipulating the language files.
I know what you mean, for this to work, there needs to be a way for the translator to enter strings differentiating boys & girls and to fetch the correct string by current context. The tricky part is that the context changes as we walk through the messages or other sort of array.

Of the top of my head, this could be resolved by evaluating the translation string AFTER we called it, for example we always have current context's gender in global $gender (which we change as context changes) and evaluate the string on each usage. This wouldn't be all that nice on the resources, what if we reserve a "namespace" (for example, GC_ as gender context) for gender sensitive strings and evaluate only on those? :)

murnauvsbuñuel

Post by murnauvsbuñuel »

the admins can add custom bbcodes, but i think that will be good that differents options to these custom bbcodes can be select from a dropdown (same to font size).

for example if i add a "font type bbcode" i would like have any checkbox from ACP to set differents options to this bbcode and that its will be in a dropdown from posting editor.

sorry for my bad english.
sorry for my bad english i am spanish.
Image the best portal to phpBB2

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

That would be good if they expand on the Custom BBCode and add optional parameters. Then the font BBCode could control all of that.

You could have it like [font size=50 color=#FFFFFF type=Impact]text[/font] for example.

murnauvsbuñuel

Post by murnauvsbuñuel »

EXreaction wrote:That would be good if they expand on the Custom BBCode and add optional parameters. Then the font BBCode could control all of that.

You could have it like [font size=50 color=#FFFFFF type=Impact]text[/font] for example.
In this case i think that is more easy to normal users that they can combine formatting tags.
sorry for my bad english i am spanish.
Image the best portal to phpBB2

Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

Would there be also some adjustment on the style-system?
Like this ; when you deleted for example a style (néé no themes, templates or imageset) but just a style.
I call you just install the subsilver2 style, but when you think no i don't like it you deleted it.
But on that case the hole style that you just add won't get deleted, the template, imageset and theme are still available.
Would there be on the future like a drop down menu exp; when you deleted a style ,that you can choice would you like to deleted the hole style , or would you to deleted the template, theme , etc?
Because on this case you must deleted the imageset , theme, template separate from the style.

But to get annoying on the SEO,
For the people that like SEO so much , would not be a feature that WP having to enable seo links something for phpBB?, i guess you satisfied the people that want the SEO URLs, and can not live without it, or is it always to do with a mod for the people that want SEO?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Deleting a style is completely different than deleting the template/theme/imageset.

You have to remember that other styles can use the same template/theme/imageset, and, IMO, deleting them is rather pointless...

statm1

Post by statm1 »

Well, I would have to agree with Raimon somewhat. In some cases you would want to delete the entire style not just uninstall it, which is what happens when you just delete the style and not the template/theme/imageset. I think it would be useful to have a checkbox there to delete the entire style all at once instead of having to click delete 4 times..