phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dkarlovi

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by dkarlovi »

I'm really glad to see some proposed features that will probably get included in core (like soft delete), what I thinks is pretty important (at least for an ex-SMF-er like me):
  • latest X messages on the forum index
  • SEO links
  • advanced forum stats
  • user's gender field
  • PM on first login
  • autoban on X warnings (it really puzzles me how come this didn't make it to 3.0)
Now, I know that there are mods for each of these thing but they are so basic and their implementation rather easy so an option to use them wouldn't be in anybody's way.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

EXreaction wrote:I think if it were to be integrated into phpBB3 it should use a separate field. You can do it like I have mine where 0 means it is not deleted, otherwise it is the user_id of whoever deleted it (so you would not need a separate field to record who deleted it). Also a deleted time and deleted reason field would be nice. :)
It makes more sense to extend the approved field -- this was my thought as well -- giving it multi-meaning is more efficient then adding an extra column.
The best idea I see here is doing a deleted time and deleted reason, but you could use the edited time, edited reason for that. I like the concept though.
dkarlovi wrote:
  • latest X messages on the forum index
What is this and what does it do?
dkarlovi wrote:
  • SEO links
What is the difference between normal URLs (links) and SEO links?
dkarlovi wrote:
  • advanced forum stats
What would be the point of doing this in the default phpBB3.2 instead of a MOD?
dkarlovi wrote:
  • user's gender field
Custom profile field, 5 second addition to your board. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to program it in. ;)
dkarlovi wrote:
  • autoban on X warnings (it really puzzles me how come this didn't make it to 3.0)
I could see this as being useful, but I think the idea is for a human to make the decision to ban a user.

statm1

Post by statm1 »

By latest x messages i think he means he wants the most recent posts on the index. Which I think would also be most suited as a mod. Which I think already exists.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Highway of Life wrote:
dkarlovi wrote:
I could see this as being useful, but I think the idea is for a human to make the decision to ban a user.
I believe the plan for 3.2 was to let you set this up through the events system?

dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

Highway of Life wrote: What is this and what does it do?
You were explained. I already said that I know about the mods but it would make sense for this in core, you can always get the feeling where the action is on the forum just by taking a look at it, it makes the forum seem current and dynamic, just like the online users list you have on the bottom of the index. I know it's a habit, but I still feel kind of weird on phpBB boards compared to SMF because most of them don't have one, it feels like no discussions are going on. I know, it's silly. :ugeek:
What is the difference between normal URLs (links) and SEO links?
One is posting.php?f=3&p=191813 The other is phpBB-3.2-Discussion (or something similar, you get the point) which guarantees each document is accessible through one URI (for example, in above link you could switch have ?p=191813&f=3). I believe everybody knows about SEO URI's so there must be a reason you made me explain. :o

dkarlovi wrote:
  • advanced forum stats
What would be the point of doing this in the default phpBB3.2 instead of a MOD?
What is the reason not to do it? You already have the data with each installation, why not enable the user to display and analyze it?
dkarlovi wrote:
  • user's gender field
Custom profile field, 5 second addition to your board. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to program it in. ;)
OK, I guess you're right for that one. :D
dkarlovi wrote:
I don't see it that way, you have an event, enable the user to setup some sort of reaction to it, what's the point of warnings without it?

Oh yeah, AJAX post/PM preview would be great.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote:
EXreaction wrote:I think if it were to be integrated into phpBB3 it should use a separate field. You can do it like I have mine where 0 means it is not deleted, otherwise it is the user_id of whoever deleted it (so you would not need a separate field to record who deleted it). Also a deleted time and deleted reason field would be nice. :)
It makes more sense to extend the approved field -- this was my thought as well -- giving it multi-meaning is more efficient then adding an extra column.
The best idea I see here is doing a deleted time and deleted reason, but you could use the edited time, edited reason for that. I like the concept though.
That wouldn't be too bad. Certainly better than nothing. :P

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

ElbertF wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:
dkarlovi wrote:
I believe the plan for 3.2 was to let you set this up through the events system?
Silly me. You are correct, Elbert. :)
dkarlovi wrote:One is posting.php?f=3&p=191813 The other is phpBB-3.2-Discussion (or something similar, you get the point) which guarantees each document is accessible through one URI (for example, in above link you could switch have ?p=191813&f=3). I believe everybody knows about SEO URI's so there must be a reason you made me explain.
Ah, SEO Topic Titles. -- SEO Links didn't make any sense. ;)
I really don’t believe this will be core, take vB and IPB, neither have this feature by default, though very popular MODs for all three boards, I’ve debated this with Handyman, who has a SEO Topic Titles MOD, and yet I don’t really see the usefulness in it. -- Though I’m not terribly opposed to using one, I don’t (personally) see any actual benefit.
Without going into it, there are many reasons. This topic has been discussed heavily on phpBB.com rather recently.
dkarlovi wrote:I don't see it that way, you have an event, enable the user to setup some sort of reaction to it, what's the point of warnings without it?

Oh yeah, AJAX post/PM preview would be great.
There will be some AJAX implementation in 3.2; for autobans, Elbert is correct in that it could be utilised as an event with the events system. :)
dkarlovi wrote:What is the reason not to do it? You already have the data with each installation, why not enable the user to display and analyze it?
I suppose I’m not understanding what kinds of stats you would put in here (by default).
I like having all my stats custom made, because I imagine I would be interested in a different set of stats than the next guy.
I like the 24 hour activity stats like we have on our board, as well as posts/topics stat graphs over the last week -- we have this one as well. But as far as I’ve seen, they have not been that popular of MODs, so I don’t know if they will be taken well with being a default feature. :|

dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

Highway of Life wrote: Ah, SEO Topic Titles. -- SEO Links didn't make any sense. ;)
Sorry about the confusion. :oops:
I really don’t believe this will be core, take vB and IPB, neither have this feature by default
OK, we're comparing with other BB solutions, let's call this exhibit "A". :D
though very popular MODs for all three boards, I’ve debated this with Handyman, who has a SEO Topic Titles MOD, and yet I don’t really see the usefulness in it. -- Though I’m not terribly opposed to using one, I don’t (personally) see any actual benefit.
It doesn't disable the regular URI scheme (they still work, probably even with SEO enabled) so it's an added bonus.
dkarlovi wrote:What is the reason not to do it? You already have the data with each installation, why not enable the user to display and analyze it?
I suppose I’m not understanding what kinds of stats you would put in here (by default).
I like having all my stats custom made, because I imagine I would be interested in a different set of stats than the next guy.
I refer you to exhibit A by saying "SMF has it" (also AJAX preview, also last X messages on board index...). But seriously, it's about presenting data in a organized and interesting way, like any general purpose stats are. A general overview of the board status or even more precise, integrating Forum Statistics and giving it some polish.

For me, default features should be general-purpose and enabling the user (not just the board admins). For example, I'm planning a Jabber MUC client in Flex which should naturally need some options and I thought that I'll just setup custom profile fields, hide them from display which would enable my users to change them from their profile/preferences field which is natural to them. But, I found out that this can't be done so I'll have to do some sort of workaround. This would be totally non-needed core feature, thus I'm not even suggesting it. :D The other ones are pretty standard, IMHO.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

The "SEO" topic titles don't help "SEO". They are largely snake oil; it's something that can and should be handled by a MOD.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

dkarlovi

Post by dkarlovi »

Kellanved wrote:The "SEO" topic titles don't help "SEO". They are largely snake oil;
Can you expand on this, please?