phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
darcie
Community Team
Community Team

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by darcie »

Hi,
This topic is to discuss the future version of phpBB and not ask for feature requests. If you are looking for support or MODs for the current version, the correct place to be posting is the main board, http://www.phpbb.com/community/ . You may want to see this MOD. ;)

DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

I have just seen in a topic about a new mod that when 3.2 arrives that the current subsilver will no longer work

Is that correct?

This would be VERY upsetting since I have modded my board with a LOT of mods based on subsilver and NOT prosilver

It would be really hard top revise it all now

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It should work just fine, but it will not be included in the phpBB package and probably won't be officially supported by phpBB.

Well, let me rephrase that, most of it will work just fine (there may be some broken code from renaming items), and likely someone will pick up the job themselves to continue updating subsilver2 like a style author would support their own style.

DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

EXreaction wrote:It should work just fine, but it will not be included in the phpBB package and probably won't be officially supported by phpBB.

Well, let me rephrase that, most of it will work just fine (there may be some broken code from renaming items), and likely someone will pick up the job themselves to continue updating subsilver2 like a style author would support their own style.
This is mostly what is happening now where the author adds an update for the subsilver style

I’m just hoping that the upgrade won’t break anything as I hate everything on the right side....as do my forum members said when I installed ver 3 as a base install with prosilver

statm1

Post by statm1 »

After they stop supporting subsilver, the style authors that have subsilver-based styles will have to take up the job of converting the updates/changes done to prosilver. As well as who ever takes over subsilver itself (assuming someone will). Those that have extensively changed subsilver-based styles are accustomed to doing this, but I'm sure the authors that only have changed their colors will have to take on alittle more work by actually having to think on how they can convert the prosilver changes into the context of how it works in subsilver.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

scarersulley wrote:Could it be possible to add an custom profile field that only administrators and moderators are able to fill out (like the original Hide Profile Field), but the users themselves can see it (read only) within the user control panel?

This would be quite useful when I wants to customize certain users read only fields, ex. user points.
There was a change committed for 3.0.4 that will have this ability with the new visibility options.

Chrizathens

Post by Chrizathens »

I know it has been discussed before, but I don't now where this discussion ended..
So, my request is really a restore tool that actually works with big databases...
I have two live 3.0.x forums right now, The first one's db is 11MB the second one's 600MB...
The 11MB restore fine, but the 600 heh, noway! Bigdumb is the only way... Any comments?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Use either bigdump or navicat. Navicat is a personal preference.