phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DoubleJ

Re: phpBB 3.2 Discussion

Post by DoubleJ »

Concerning the permissions system.

If you run multiple boards, an export/import feature for the roles would be nice.
That way you could create your roles on your board one, and when you set up board to, simply import your roleset and you can quickly go on creating your second(and more) boards.
DoubleJ - Blah

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

Why not post that as a MOD request.

code reader

Post by code reader »

you could do it now, though it's a little bit tricky:
-- maintain one board where you edit and add roles. never change a role through ACP in any other board.
-- on your "master" board, perform backup. choose only the phpbb_acl_roles and phpbb_acl_roles_data tables. also, choose "data only" in the backup options.
-- if you use different table prefixes for the different boards, you'll need to edit the backup file manually
-- use "restore" on the other boards with the file you created (and possibly edited) to copy the roles to the other boards.

i am not saying that this will not be a good mod request, but if you need this functionality now, you can use this trick.

good luck.

gesh14

Post by gesh14 »

I've got an idea. An automatic updater. But this one will automaticly change the files and the database and it'll read all changes from phpbb.com. With just one click! And it will not replace the files, just change them, because if you have mods, they will be messed up. How does that sound? I think that it would be very hard to do it.

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

gesh14 wrote:I've got an idea. An automatic updater. But this one will automaticly change the files and the database and it'll read all changes from phpbb.com. With just one click! And it will not replace the files, just change them, because if you have mods, they will be messed up. How does that sound? I think that it would be very hard to do it.
To do this, you would have to allow writing to every phpBB file. Not very good for security...

gesh14

Post by gesh14 »

VinDuv wrote:
gesh14 wrote:I've got an idea. An automatic updater. But this one will automaticly change the files and the database and it'll read all changes from phpbb.com. With just one click! And it will not replace the files, just change them, because if you have mods, they will be messed up. How does that sound? I think that it would be very hard to do it.
To do this, you would have to allow writing to every phpBB file. Not very good for security...
Easymod for 2.0.x does that and it's fine. And what could happen? The files can only be changed with something on the server. But you could be right, I don't really understand security of websites...

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

It would be done through FTP -- by downloading the modified file or you can FTP the file directly to your server -- if the files are not directly writeable (they shouldn't be by default). Though I imagine in a localhost installation, it would be able to write to the files directly.

Pit

Post by Pit »

VinDuv wrote:
Not worse than going unpatched for years as many phpBB forums do.

However, given that phpBB.com has been compromised on multiple occasions (I hasten to note that in the two times within my recollection it was not due to the phpBB software), it would seem perhaps unwise to create a system allowing many thousands of phpBB forums (and the servers hosting them) to be compromised through a single channel.

The best system is probably the update checking currently in place, expanded to provide more explicit information about security updates and proactively warn administrators to upgrade.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

Some things I'd like to see:
  1. The dev team take a long earned break

Mrtb

Post by Mrtb »

Two things:

1. Why are available phpBB 2.0 CVS here: http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/ ?
2. Why development team don't use another phpBB "cvs folder" yet, instead of phpBB2 one (http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/phpBB2/)?

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad english.