Reporting Inconsistencies?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Daz

Reporting Inconsistencies?

Post by Daz »

Hi,

What is the correct method to report/question inconsistencies (primarily relating to styles) with phpBB3?

I did think it would be the Bug Tracker, but having tried that I (sort of) assume that as they aren't truly 'bugs' (in most cases) and that inconsistencies/missing bits would be handled differently.

Please excuse me for not having gone through the forums - I have been elsewhere for a few years.

Daz
Ignore the voices, they will get bored eventually...

Acyd Burn

Re: Reporting Inconsistencies?

Post by Acyd Burn »

Generally, the bug tracker - but they will all set to "review later". Later, those will either be looked at for minor releases or moved to the (yet to be opened) 3.2 tracker.

Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and congratulations to the Team on a job well done.

I have experienced the "review later" already, so won't repeat those points and I take it that the "if it works (and is secure) it's OK" stance is being taken -- which is understandable given the situation.

I've no desire to fill the developers time with possibly petty insignificances, but (excuse me if have overlooked or misunderstand the new system) shouldn't image variables for such as the Birthdays and Statistics blocks be made available via 'imageset_keys' to enable editing via the ACP? Although no images are (yet) available, I'm surely not the only one who has made them or wants to use them.

BTW: My offer to the phpBB Group (possibly made personally to Paul) regarding their use and licensing of the images I made (for ForumImages and phpBB2.2) still stands.

Daz

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Daz wrote: [...] shouldn't image variables for such as the Birthdays and Statistics blocks be made available via 'imageset_keys' to enable editing via the ACP? Although no images are (yet) available, I'm surely not the only one who has made them or wants to use them.
No, not necessarily. Some images are made available for editing within the ACP on a case-by-case basis (in an ideal world this would be all). Other images are simply only used within the theme (there are a lot of images not connected to the imageset - images able to be freely used on will, which can be seen by the huge difference between prosilver and subsilver2 and their use of themes and images).
BTW: My offer to the phpBB Group (possibly made personally to Paul) regarding their use and licensing of the images I made (for ForumImages and phpBB2.2) still stands.
You may want to PM me. ;) I never heard of such an offer and i also can not remember anything related to this (although i could have simply missed it if it was "before my time" ;)).

Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

I can see why not all images would be assigned as it could get unworkable/impact performance.

This is a slight side-issue, but discounting the arguments about what (image) belongs to the style and what belongs to the theme, it would be nice/helpful to be able to generate a list of all such images.

However, the two examples I gave are displayed in subsilver2 by default, plus there will be people who would want to use them with prosilver (variants). Although it (subsilver2) looks a little like a forgotten son to me (images pretty much unchanged from when I had a play 3+ years ago with 2.2), I do assume it will be available at least as an official download, if not included in the full phpBB3 release.

If my offer was before your time you missed some tempestuous times ;)
I shall PM you.

---
And definitely not the right place, but given my lack of confidence in my ability to submit a bug;

In 'acp_styles.php', 'A_NAME' is assigned to '$imageset_name', but as it loads the new image in the JavaScript 'update_image' function, should it not be assigning '$imageset_path' (and therefore renamed appropriately)?

I will, obviously, submit any serious bugs to the Bug Tracker, but if you want me to post/submit a list of issues/inconsistencies (pretty much all Styles) then please say.

Daz

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Sorry to butt in, but I have to say this. Daz!

Thank you, you may return to your regularly schedule programming. :D

Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome...
Techie-Micheal wrote:...you may return to your regularly schedule programming. :D
...and go off and be a PITA elsewhere?

Daz

SamG

Post by SamG »

Daz wrote:...and go off and be a PITA elsewhere?
I'm sure he didn't mean that you had to do that right away. After all, they haven't banned me yet.

So, of course, there are inevitable (and off topic) questions raised by your questions and your presence here. Do you care to answer any of them? It seems right to ask before I start a "So, Daz..." topic somewhere.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Daz wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome...
Techie-Micheal wrote:...you may return to your regularly schedule programming. :D
...and go off and be a PITA elsewhere?

Daz
Bah. :P Hopefully you'll stay around and develop some sexy 3.0 styles. ^_^

Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

My reply was based on reflection upon my past 'life' in that there aren't many that are used to the nature* of a proper citizen of God's Own County, so as a 'non-contributor' to the cause I wasn't expecting red carpets to be rolled out - in short, I don't feel the love :lol:.

And so to partly answer your question: I couldn't form any realistic opinion upon phpBB3 without having a play, and although the (lack of) changes to the basic styling method meant that I could have simply reused what I made for 2.2, I felt the need to (re)create something. I could tease the numpties over there with the results, but that would be either masochistic or sadistic depending on your POV. But if anyone over here is interested in the results/my opinions and is going to humour me with answers to my questions, then bring it on with the '"So, Daz..." topic somewhere' - I am not relishing the thought of wading my way through 3+ years of noise to answer why things aren't as I either perceive them to be or am mislead into thinking so - I can play Bob the Builder if it's just for my own consumption.

Please feel free to split this detour off, I would like the option to add a little to the topic.

Daz

---
* In short: Regardless of consequence won't, and will never be, afraid to express an opinion and won't 'pi** in the wind'.