So where do we post feature requests exactly?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dunnma

So where do we post feature requests exactly?

Post by dunnma »

I mean I don't want to post it in the wrong place...but I do want to post it in a place that will get noticed. Every forum I have found says don't post feature requests...but I couldn't find anywhere for phpBB3 to request it.

Since mine is a simple request I am guessing it was either overlooked or there is a security reason for it.

There is a predefined {S_USERNAME} but there is not a predefined {S_USER_ID} for use in the templates. Could someone please point me to the correct spot to request this addition, or tell me why it was excluded?

Thanks!

Ron2K

Re: So where do we post feature requests exactly?

Post by Ron2K »

It's probably not there because the Powers That Be deemed it unnecessary.

If you think about it, why would you want to display it? It's only relevant for inter-table relationships in the database. :P
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

As for feature requests....there is no where to make them for phpBB3 as it is currently feature frozen :)

dunnma

Post by dunnma »

Ron2K wrote:If you think about it, why would you want to display it? It's only relevant for inter-table relationships in the database. :P
Because I want to have a link in the forum to pages out on the rest of my site and these extra pages display data based upon the user_id as well. If it is not a security issue I do not see the reason to not have it. To me it would make the application even that more flexible.

dunnma

Post by dunnma »

karlsemple wrote:As for feature requests....there is no where to make them for phpBB3 as it is currently feature frozen :)
I understand that...but there has to be a place to request future feature additions. I.e. a request system that lets users submit requests, then the powers that be can choose to "slot" them for a particular release, or decline them, or whatever. At least it lets users submit requests.

I was not asking for it to be added to 3.0 (even though it would take all of 10 seconds and not harm anything). I have a sheet that I use to keep track of "mod's" that I do so I will just add it every time I have to upgrade. Obviously if it only would benefit me (like some of the other changes I have made) then I do not think it should be added. Anything that can benefit others is good though right?

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

There is a request tracker, which will be opened when the development team are accepting feature requests for the next version of phpBB. Currently though the feature request tracker is closed, so just keep a hold of any ideas you have for when they open the request tracker :)

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

Try posting it as a MOD Request in [3.0.x] MOD Requests, I don't think its something huge, someone would be able to do it for you :)

I think the reason this is not included because User ID is not used for cosmetic purposes and URLs are created on the PHP side (two reasons I can think of for this, 1.. Managing them is easy 2.. Adding parameters to them is a piece of cake).

If you are doing some PHP code, I would recommend creating a URL on the PHP side, for example:

instead of using:

Code: Select all

href="mypage.php?u={S_USER_ID}"
try:

Code: Select all

href="{U_MYPAGE}"
where {U_MYPAGE} is created on the PHP side.