What is up with the ACP?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Blackmoor

What is up with the ACP?

Post by Blackmoor »

I just installed a fresh copy of Olympus on my server, and I have to say I am really impressed. Very nice default layout and styling. Of course, the first thing I noticed that would be a huge change was of course the ACP.

FINALLY! Thank you for getting rid of that frame! Very streamlined. Good features, nice layout, and very easy to navigate. However, these permissions... In my opinion, as default settings the Administrator Group should have full access to everything. Registered Members Group should have standard access, no polls. Guests should have Read-Only access and Bots should have the Bots settings. Why isn't this the case? It is a pain in the ass to go through all these permissions. Please consider this in the final release.

Next, absolutely beautiful post editor. Simple yet elegant. The post layouts are elegant, too. I haven't seen a forum have all the user information to the right in a long time. Original.

You guys have done a great job.

Does anyone else think that the permissions should be default as listed above?
ChrisRLG

Re: What is up with the ACP?

Post by ChrisRLG »

Your defaults would be someone else's nightmare.

I would never wish all new rooms when created to be open to ANYONE for instance.
If I am creating a room for admins only, for an instance, until I get to changing the settings, everyone would have access to knowing that room exists.

The current settings where no one have access is ideal.

Taking your other example of an admin ALWAYS having access - I have some situations where that is not desirable.

Take a forum where an admin is the technical person, and medical people are dealing with clients - the admin should NOT have access to that private data, with the permission set as it is that private data can remain private, still with giving the technical admin the opportunity to administer the BB correctly.

So in short the current defaults are purposely very restricted when a room is created - and I like that way.
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Blackmoor,

You achieve that when you set up your board - at least partly - by not deleting the first category and first forum created under install, by "recycling it" (by renaming it) and copy permissions from the first ones to all new categories and forums you set up on your board - as a basis for the total board permissions for further adjustments.
Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

I quite understand, Chris. Should there not be an option during the installation process, then? One that would allow up to change the basic permissions right there?
Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

So you are trying to say that a new system to be added to the update/install process that lets us choose the default permissions .. personally I think its just wasting time .. the new permission systems comes with something called Roles .. Just set up your own forum role and keep using that role as your forum permission .. for example in my community there are two types of forums .. one where all the members can create threads and post .. and certain forums where only admins can post (like annoucements) .. so I've tweaked Full Access role and Read Only Access role according to my needs .. ACP -> Permissions -> Permission Roles .. and started assigning each forum a Role depending upon its nature ..

PS: When first time I saw the Permissions system .. I thought it would be a pain to set up the permissions but with roles it was like a piece of cake .. ;)
Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

I don't understand how to assign a forum a role...
John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

You don't assign roles to forums, but to groups on a per forum basis.
Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

I know, found it out on my own. :)
Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

New Forum:
1. Create a new forum .. once you press the Submit button .. the confirmation screen (green screen telling you the forum has been created) also says that you can set permissions for the forum .. click 'set permissions' .. (goto step 3)

Already Created Forum:
2. Goto ACP -> Forums -> Forum Permissions .. choose the forum you want to assign a role .. and click Submit

3. Now basically you will come up with a screen where you can pick the groups you want to assign forum roles to .. usually you will choose Registered Members and Guests .. choose the group(s) and click on Add Permissions (if you already have added roles for those groups, they will appear in the top box and you will have to click Edit Permissions)

4. Depending on how many groups you chose (and I recommend as a newbie, stick to one group at a time :P ), you will see a forum name followed a (or a list of) group(s) and the current permissions .. First timers will see 'No Permissions Assigned' .. etc

5. Now the easy bit .. give (each) group its role .. like in my forum all Registered Members get 'Standard Access + Polls' and Guests get 'Ready Only Access' roles ..

6. Once you are happy .. hit the magic button .. Apply All Permissions ..

[EDIT]lol still posting it so someone else can find it useful[/EDIT]
Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

thanks. :)