the phpbb 3 Text Editor !!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
codezero_3000

the phpbb 3 Text Editor !!

Post by codezero_3000 »

hi
I have recently tried the phpbb 3 forum and to tell the truth it is really stunning and so amazing
and it has bypassed all the other forums i have ever tried , though the text editor included in the forum
is not as good as the other features , I consider it as a drawback for the phpbb 3 forum , and that is
for several reasons icluding :
it's poorly designed and lacks a lot of features found in other editors.
some of the astonishing features that I would like the developers to add is ajax feature in the editor
so instead of the mess of bbcode we get the what i see is what i get , and that can remove the preview process
of the current editor , and it will make the process of posting a lot easier and gracefull .

finally ,,
I would like to send a lot of thanks to the hard-working developer ....

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: the phpbb 3 Text Editor !!

Post by Kevin Clark »

codezero_3000 wrote:it's poorly designed and lacks a lot of features found in other editors.
Simplicity is sometimes better. By lacking supposed features, it also lacks a lot of useless bloaty nonsense.
For the vast vast majority of posts on forums, people just want to write text. Why add loads of other things that don't get used much?

I will be at least phpBB3.2 or 3.4 before you see ajax.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

codezero_3000 wrote: some of the astonishing features that I would like the developers to add is ajax feature in the editor
so instead of the mess of bbcode we get the what i see is what i get , and that can remove the preview process
of the current editor , and it will make the process of posting a lot easier and gracefull .

Will make server load also much heavier
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

Rotsblok wrote:
codezero_3000 wrote: some of the astonishing features that I would like the developers to add is ajax feature in the editor

Will make server load also much heavier
How do you figure. If anything AJAX decreases the load because instead of it having to churn out an entire new XML document, it is able to only send the text/XML snippet that has been requested for an operation. besides, no functionality of a text box has ANYTHING to do with ajax, it's just javascript, which incidentally has NOTHING to do with server load...

Wert

Post by Wert »

Do yourself a favor and type "wysiwyg" into the search field at the top of the forums.

This has been discussed ad-infinitum.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Crosby

Post by Crosby »

Kevin Clark wrote:
codezero_3000 wrote:it's poorly designed and lacks a lot of features found in other editors.
Simplicity is sometimes better. By lacking supposed features, it also lacks a lot of useless bloaty nonsense.
For the vast vast majority of posts on forums, people just want to write text. Why add loads of other things that don't get used much?

I will be at least phpBB3.2 or 3.4 before you see ajax.
That's good we aren't even to RC3 and we should wait to 3.4. :D

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

The option to use a WYSIWYG editor would be amazing, but as far as I know the phpBB team is against it.

Don't worry, anyway... a mod will be developed sooner or later, it's something many people want. And for one more time, phpBB is feature frozen since a long time. It's of no sense to ask for new features right now...

;-)

SamG

Post by SamG »

A WYSIWYG editor was among the phpBB community coding projects, if I recall correctly, so I don't think there's any strong opposition to the idea among the teams. I've gotten the impression that most of the projects were unproductive.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood