All times are UTC ...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SamG

Re: All times are UTC ...

Post by SamG »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:I could still send you a paper mail, go to work on foot, get the news from some herald etc... ;)
Sure. You can also offload all user responsibility onto software developers, encourage ignorance rather than the pursuit of even basic knowledge (e.g., terms like UTC) by making software developers do all the hard work, make software developers meet head on the odd combination of users' laziness and their high expectations of providers, etc. ;)
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Ron2K wrote:although if there are countries that start DST on different dates each year, it could become a hassle
As far as I know, in every country DST starts and ends in different days each year - also, I think not many actually remember when (last sunday of march to last sunday of october? mmm...).
Instead, the software can know it - just let the user select a country, and localize everything - language, timezone, time format (I'm tired of those "11 Set 07 7:12pm" dates, WTF, gimme serious dates and times).
SamG wrote:You can also offload all user responsibility onto software developers, encourage ignorance rather than the pursuit of even basic knowledge (e.g., terms like UTC) by making software developers do all the hard work, make software developers meet head on the odd combination of users' laziness and their high expectations of providers, etc. ;)
Although being an (almost) computer engineer I fully see your point and I'm tempted to agree :) , just remember we are doing things that the users should be able to use as easily as possible. While building software is something we do in our daily life, using software is one of the 1000 things a normal person does in his; so we can't afford putting difficult things into everything everyone does. What if TV remote-controls had only two buttons, and we had to binary-ize every command we send. What if we had to set clock times using unix timestamps. What if to switch on the car we had to link two wires like McGyver. Just because the producer said "hey, they should be able [and maybe we actually are] to do this, it just takes a couple of seconds". But seconds multiplied several times make up minutes and hours.
In other words, we should try to offer the best product technically and reasonably feasible, without delegating to users tasks that the product could accomplish.

This has gone OT, but I hope I clarified the point. ;)

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:Anyway, we should get a way to move everyone back and forth Daylight saving time without every user having to change their profile settings.
Agreed!! I expect first mods to take care of that by September or October… However, something built in would be awfully better… :D