All times are UTC ...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
njscuba

All times are UTC ...

Post by njscuba »

Is there any way to get phpbb3 to display a specific time zone for everything? Not all boards are world-wide in nature and readership - many are localized to a specific region and time zone. Most people don't even know what "UTC" stands for. There are 24 time zones in the world, and UTC only makes sense in one of them, and confuses the rest.

It seems to me this should be simple - just +/- offset. Barring this, it would be useful to be able to just turn the time displays off entirely, since they make very little sense and take up screen space with what is for most people apparently wrong information. I suppose this could be done by hacking up the templates, but it would be better if it was right in the program.

What are the time zone settings in the control panel(s) for anyway? I don't see that they affect anything. Is this something that is just not finished yet?

Other than that, this is a great product, and I look forward to the final release.

-- Rich
http://njscuba.net/bb
USA Eastern Time Zone

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I hunted around and couldn't find any "right" place.
Nicholas the Italian

Re: All times are UTC ...

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Each user needs to set up his timezone in his profile.
You can only change the default timezone of the board - or change everyone's settings accessing to the database.
njscuba

Post by njscuba »

I see !

it seemed like too glaring a bug to have escaped detection

the admin account was the first one, and somehow didn't get set up properly, but I just fixed it, as well as the anon account, and everything looks right now

the back-end of this thing has quite a learning curve !!!

thanks

-- rich
friendly-art

Post by friendly-art »

I believe there will be a mod soon that will use JavaScript, analyze local time and select an appropriate time zone on registration. If not, I will make one. Besides, if not using JavaScript, why do we have to select a time zone instead of just selecting what time is it now (it's a rhetorical question for developers)?
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

why do we have to select a time zone instead of just selecting what time is it now (it's a rhetorical question for developers)?
Because you are only able to retrieve the server time (which is used as a default) and not the users/clients time. ;)

Nicholas the Italian

Anyway, we should get a way to move everyone back and forth Daylight saving time without every user having to change their profile settings.
I know DST applies differently in different countries, but since rules are clear, this could be handled.
Also, considering that most of the boards actually run in one country... uhm... we all end up doing queries in the database just to get everyone with the right time. That's just not lazy-ignorant-stupid-user friendly. :x
SamG

Post by SamG »

Granted that it would be nice if the software handled DST for us lame, lazy users, why should the admin care if the user's time is displayed wrong? If people don't have the time of day to enter their UCP twice a year, why should I care?

I still have to change both my watches manually, and every clock in my house. And I can. :ugeek:
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
friendly-art

Post by friendly-art »

Acyd Burn wrote:
why do we have to select a time zone instead of just selecting what time is it now (it's a rhetorical question for developers)?
Because you are only able to retrieve the server time (which is used as a default) and not the users/clients time. ;)
I was not clear enough. I was speaking about the way PhpBB presents a choice to user. What time is it now? 14:56, 15:56, 16:56, 17:56, 18:56, ...? And a simple JavaScript can even make an appropriate choice.
This is just more user-friendly.
Nicholas the Italian

SamG wrote:Granted that it would be nice if the software handled DST for us lame, lazy users, why should the admin care if the user's time is displayed wrong? If people don't have the time of day to enter their UCP twice a year, why should I care?
If they insult each other, why should I care?
If they don't know how to use the forum, why should I care?
If they want to communicate between each other, wsIc?
If they whatever whaterver, whatever? :P

They don't know? They don't care? Amen, but then they come complaining...
I still have to change both my watches manually, and every clock in my house. And I can. :ugeek:
I could still send you a paper mail, go to work on foot, get the news from some herald etc... ;)
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Regarding the DST debate, although this doesn't apply to me (I live in a country where DST is unheard of), an idea that I'm going to suggest once feature requests are reopened is having the user specify in the UCP the dates that DST starts and ends. Theoretically, this would only mean one visit to the UCP to set this up initially, although if there are countries that start DST on different dates each year, it could become a hassle, and sending reminders to users just before DST starts to check their DST settings may not be worth doing.

That being said, the current DST implementation is good enough, and is certainly better than the total lack of DST handling in phpBB 2.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.