Search Bot Functionality

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: Search Bot Functionality

Post by Kellanved »

http://shcommunity.mickens.us
Try it as a guest, then try it as a bot. Guest have no access permissions, google bot can see everything[/quote]

That is a problem with the permission on that page; out of the box phpBB3 behaves differently.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

I think this could be a converter problem. I upgraded from phpBB 2.0.22, and stumbled across the fact that Google et al. were able to access a forum that was accessible to registered users only on my old site. Somehow, the "Bots" group got read access from the converter run [technically, this is not completely false, since they're not browsing as guests - but as members of the bots-group. However I guess that for the vast majority, this behavior is not the desired one…]- and that's probably where most of the "the-bots-can-see-my-stuff"-problems come from.

Could someone confirm this? Is this still the case with the current converter? If so, should we file it to the bugtracker?

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

Yes, that problem existed in RC1 and has been fixed.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.