Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DanoruX

Re: Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Post by DanoruX »

I bet there will be RC6...

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

The release post for RC5 says they really hope the next version is gold. I can't say I've seen any bugs to suggest otherwise.

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

it would be good if its gold, but there are still a few bugs in the bug tracker, so I will say there might be a RC6 as well

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Depends on their significance though.
I would guess that if there's nothing that affects the converter or the basic day to day functioning of the forum then it'll go gold.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Kevin Clark wrote:The release post for RC5 says they really hope the next version is gold. I can't say I've seen any bugs to suggest otherwise.
actually, if you read the announcement carefully, "they" (=AcydBurn) did not say they hope "the next version is gold". what he said was he hoped rc5 will become gold.
iiuc, the idea behind an RC (="release candidate") is that if no major issue is discovered, the version will become gold.
from all i saw so far, there's an excellent chance for rc5 to become gold. what it really means is some slight changes to the packaging, i.e., removal of references to "RC" in the text and in the "version name" field in the db, and making the appropriate announcement.
the small amount of fixes that were submitted since rc5 can wait, imo, to version 3.0.1 (true, it is sometimes hard to resist the temptation and include those fixes with the new package, but from version control pov this would be a mistake. according to the common wisdom in release eng., the last rc should become the gold with no change except the packaging).

the other option would be to release rc6.

btw: if you take at phpbb 2.0 as a reference, there was quite a substantial difference between the last rc and 2.0.0, so, if history is any clue, you might be right after all...

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

code reader wrote: Kevin Clark wrote:The release post for RC5 says they really hope the next version is gold. I can't say I've seen any bugs to suggest otherwise.

actually, if you read the announcement carefully, "they" (=AcydBurn) did not say they hope "the next version is gold". what he said was he hoped rc5 will become gold.
I did read the announcement carefully.
What he actually says is
This is the fifth (and hopefully last) release candidate which is meant to become the Gold release if no more critical problems arise.

code reader

Post by code reader »

i'll try to explain:
you said "they really hope the next version is gold"
he said:
"This is the fifth (and hopefully last) release candidate which is meant to become the Gold release"

my point was that if everything goes according to hopes, it won't be the next release (your words), but rather the current release (ie., rc5) that will (by means of repackaging) become gold.
i know it's a subtle (or petty) distinction, but it's still not the same.
hope it's clearer now... :)

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

That's just being picky :lol:

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

code reader wrote:iiuc, the idea behind an RC (="release candidate") is that if no major issue is discovered, the version will become gold.
True, but I've only seen one project out of the 7 or so that I know well that actually does this.

Besides, as you mentioned, phpBB tends not to be that strict. Then again, who knows? It's been five years since 2.0.0 and a few policies may well have been changed since then. I reckon that they're just as likely to fix a few minor changes and release 3.0.0 as they are to releasing RC6 and then repackaging it as 3.0.0 shortly thereafter. The thing is, we just don't know. ;)

If indeed they intend going for the repackaging route, it could well explain why there were no CVS commits for a week after the RC5 release - I guess that they were waiting to see if anything severe would be reported on the bugtracker.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

This is the changelog since RC5.
[Feature] Removing constant PHPBB_EMBEDDED in favor of using an exit_handler(); the constant was meant to achive this more or less.
[Feature] The new exit_handler() function having a check for the function exit_handler_phpbb_hook().
[Feature] Constant PHPBB_ADMIN_PATH introduced, having the same purpose as PHPBB_ROOT_PATH, but for the ACP.
[Fix] Further fixing user profile view (please do not forget to update/refresh your template and style) (Bug #14230)
[Fix] Adjust google adsense bot information (Bug #14296)
[Fix] Fix horizontal scrollbar problem in IE6 (Bug #14228) - fix provided by Danny-dev
[Fix] Use correct size values in ACP user signature screen (Bug #13367)
[Fix] Attachment Place inline won't work with single quotes (Bug #14291)
[Fix] Unable to save email templates through ACP language page (Bug #14266)
[Fix] Correctly set user style for guest user (able to be changed within user management)
[Change] Moved note about dns_get_record function for using GTalk (Jabber) from Jabber log to Jabber ACP panel
Although I reckon it quite unusual to have new "features" added between last RC and gold version, I see no problem in going straight to 3.0.0 with such dramatic "changes". Of course the situation may change if new things keep being implemented (I wouldn't count fixes if they are of this magnitude, their impact is aprox 0).

And yes, you know better than me that phpBB devs are not so strict about development phases -- RC1 meant to become gold? what a joke! ;)

btw, tbh afaik i cant get wtf iiuc means. Sometimes I feel like in a foreign land. :)