Spam bot trap

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DraconisCombine

Spam bot trap

Post by DraconisCombine »

I was thinking of setting this up, have all new users belong to the Newbie group until they get one post, then they become members of the Members group. The Newbie group can't start topics, but they can reply, that way the spam bots won't be able to reply to get their first post, which they would need in order to start topics.

Has anyone else done this, and if so, is there an option to change the users to the Newbie group when they register instead of the Members group?

Thanks.

John Hjorth

Re: Spam bot trap

Post by John Hjorth »

No, that is not possible. A registered user is always as per definition member of the registered users group. I don't get why a spam account won't be able to post by doing this( if possible), because spam posts can also be posting replies. You could prevent all registered user from posting, and then join every new non-spamming user to a group with permissions to post, but I don't think that would make life easier for you.

DraconisCombine

OK, thanks. So, is there a way to auto-change a user's group when they get a certain postcount?

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

No, and that's indeed the point here. All group joining in phpBB 3.0 requires an action by a group leader or a user, or both.

DraconisCombine

OK, thanks for the help :D

marosell

Post by marosell »

.... that is, until we get..... CRON!!!!!

ooo, can you feel the power? cause I can :D

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I do have a MOD in progress to do this, however. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=546907

And yeah, I realize it is way past june 12 or 13. :ugeek:
A_Jelly_Doughnut