When a 'never' should be a 'maybe'

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Gideon5L2F

When a 'never' should be a 'maybe'

Post by Gideon5L2F »

See, I’ve got a group with 2 types of people in it but I do not want to divide it into 2 separate groups. In a sense they are already divided because some are default and some are not.

Well the 'default' ones (Member A) I don't want to post without approval on some (not all) boards. So on that particular board I've slapped a 'never.'
The non-default people (Member B) I want to be able to post freely. Problem is that they get this:
  • View forum-based permissions
    Trace for: Member B / Debate Forum / Can post without approval
    Registered users - This group’s permission is set to YES which becomes the new total value because it wasn't set yet (set to NO).
    Debate Group - This group's permission is set to NEVER which overwrites the total YES to a NEVER for this user.
    Member B - The user permission is NO so the old total value is kept.
The whole group is stuck with requiring approval. :(

So what I am asking is, can the never be applied only to the default members of a group and not to the non-default ones?

Nicholas the Italian

Re: When a 'never' should be a 'maybe'

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

I don't think so (although I could be wrong). The main purpose of groups is to be able to give to each of them different permissions, and treat them differently; treating members belonging to the same groups differently is nonsensical from this point of view.
As I see it, there are two ways around this:
- use individual permissions (really not recommended);
- assign either members A or B to an additional group, and set this group permissions to Yes or Never; now members A and B can, by default, belong to the same group, but they can be in different "sub-groups".

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Default and non-default does not matter here - it is only used for colouring/ranks/etc. and not permissions. Regarding permissions it does not matter if the user is having the group as his/her default group or not.

Always remember that a NEVER means regardless of the settings - if it is applied the total is always NEVER. If you want to allow something later on for a member or a group set everything to NO and allow it afterwards for the users or the group.

For example:

Group A - Can post without approval - NO
Member B - Can post without approval - YES
Member A is within group a, so needs post approval.

of course - if member A is within the registered users group and post without approval is set to YES Member A can still post freely.

therefore we suggest to go the other way around - not allowing one by one but denying. So, you basically have your groups etc. being able to post freely. Now, you want some not able to post freely - you either set the user directly and assign a NEVER permission or put the user in a group having NEVER as the permission. For example:

Registered users group - Can post without approval - NO (YES works too for this example)
Group A - Can post without approval - YES
Group B (or Member A) - Can post without approval - NEVER

Dividing into two groups is easier than setting permissions for individual users of course. You could set the second group to "hidden" for example - then it is invisible to your forum users, except for those within this hidden group.

Gideon5L2F

Post by Gideon5L2F »

Acyd Burn wrote:For example:

Group A - Can post without approval - NO
Member B - Can post without approval - YES
Member A is within group a, so needs post approval.

of course - if member A is within the registered users group and post without approval is set to YES Member A can still post freely.
This is why I originally set Group A as NEVER. But as I read this it occurs to me that I can remove Member A from the registered users group and the problem will not arise. Is there any reason why someone should not be removed from the registered users group? Ill take it as OK if no one has time to answer this.

Thanks

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

Do not think you can remove someone from the registered user group - except possibly to the inactive users.

I think the use of 'NEVER' is going to be very few and far between.

It is a useful function where you might use a 'banned usergroup' (group level permissions) or to restrict individual members downwards for a reason (user level permissions).

I tend to prefer not to use 'user level' permissions - as they are so hard to keep on top of on a large board. So a dumbed down usergroup, where say PM permissions have been removed,
is the only time I am likely to use this 'NEVER'.

Gideon5L2F

Forget the 'maybe' - done this instead

Post by Gideon5L2F »

ChrisRLG wrote:Do not think you can remove someone from the registered user group - except possibly to the inactive users.
I set up a test account, added him to a special group and then deleted him from the 'registered user group.' I set the permission of the special group to 'no' without resorting to 'never' and the 'no' is not now being overridden as it was when he belonged to 'registered user group.'

Just thought I would report back to say that it works fine not being a member of R.U.G. The only problem I imagine might arise is if (later on) an administrator removed him from the special group and forgot to reinstate him to the R.U.G.