Suspecting RC2 Very Soon...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
me_09

Re: Suspecting RC2 Very Soon...

Post by me_09 »

Think on june release rc2

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

My brain hurts. :cry:
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Lastof wrote:My brain hurts. :cry:
Solution: head amputation.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
Lastof wrote:My brain hurts. :cry:
Solution: head amputation.
Meany :P
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Nicholas the Italian

Lastof wrote:Meany :P
Uhm... /me goes and takes a look... ah yeah, that's just me! :P

code reader

Post by code reader »

dhn wrote:The internal roadmap plans on releasing the first beta version of RC2 on June 13th. There will be at least 5 betas, with 1 or 2 months between each beta. So we should reach RC1 of RC2 somwhere around spring next year. :ugeek:
this may be viewed as a lame joke, but it raises a serious question:
is there an intent of releasing patches for the RC?
my vote is: yes (i know it's not a democracy. it's just a figure of speech).

reasoning:
one mechanism in olympus which is almost completely untested is the "Update" mechanism.
it was introduced, i believe, in beta-4, and the only time it was even remotely tested was in the beta-4 -> beta-5 upgrade. it was barely functional at this stage, and, ttbomk, very few actual successful upgrades really happened.
for various reasons, the beta-5->rc1 upgrade was never introduced, so the upgrade mechanism was never really tested.
creating and distributing some RC-1 patches (aka "service packs") will give the upgrader a run for it's money.
in addition, my guess is that phpbb group will follow tradition, in that RC stages are typically significantly longer than beta stages. the beta stages were typically 2-3 months each (except one 2-weeks runt cycle), and it's a fair guess that each RC stage will be ~4 months. without service packs, it means that bug fixes will not be seriously tested for months after their writing.

if you look at the bug statistics, you'll find an interesting fact:
significantly more than one half of the (real) bugs reported and fixed during beta-5 were a result of bad fixes to previous bugs, rather than bugs that were originally in the core package.
during the last half of most beta cycles, most of the significant bug reports were about the CVS version, because the beta version was practically irrelevant.

taking these two facts together - untested upgrader and the fact that phpbb team tends to do less than stellar job on unit-testing of bug-fixes - they both point to the same direction: we need official patches, or service packs, during each RC cycle.

Nicholas the Italian

code reader wrote:in addition, my guess is that phpbb group will follow tradition, in that RC stages are typically significantly longer than beta stages. the beta stages were typically 2-3 months each (except one 2-weeks runt cycle), and it's a fair guess that each RC stage will be ~4 months.
:shock: I thought quite the opposite, i.e. RC being shorter than beta - after all it's "just" bug squashing, while during betas there's a lot of other work involved.
What "tradition" are you referring to? 5-year-old 6-RC phpBB2?

On a different note, link underlining is not shown in the last line of messages if there's also a smilie. This only applies to Firefox. Would a 1px padding/margin solve the issue? Worth a shot in the bug tracker? <== look, no line :cry:

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:On a different note, link underlining is not shown in the last line of messages if there's also a smilie. This only applies to Firefox. Would a 1px padding/margin solve the issue? Worth a shot in the bug tracker? <== look, no line :cry:
You sure?
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 14012 times
Looks like it's underlined to me.

Nicholas the Italian

Yep, although it looks more like a Firefox rendering issue.

Normal, big & bigger font, on Firefox 2.0.0.3, WinXP:
Here you are
Here you are
ss.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
Also, with IE I see your signature like this:
What?!?
What?!?
ss.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 14018 times

Thatbitextra
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)