Are you going to use RC1 in a live environment?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
profpete

Re: Are you going to use RC1 in a live environment?

Post by profpete »

karlsemple wrote:
aaldere1 wrote:How do you upgrade from Beta 5?
There is no support for doing this, you were warned via the various announcements. No support for updating the beta software and no support for updated beta software. In short you are on your own.
...but there is a database upgrade script - you just need to find it :ugeek:

APTX

Post by APTX »

Running RC live since yesterday. 8-)
Upgrade from beta5 was pretty straightforward.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

profpete wrote:
karlsemple wrote:
aaldere1 wrote:How do you upgrade from Beta 5?
There is no support for doing this, you were warned via the various announcements. No support for updating the beta software and no support for updated beta software. In short you are on your own.
...but there is a database upgrade script - you just need to find it :ugeek:

Although in a lot of cases users are finding that does not work ;)

nekonoko

Post by nekonoko »

I went live a couple hours after RC1's release and it's been great so far. The upgrade process went smoothly too; the devs did a great job on the converter.
Behind every evil genius is an even more evil cat.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Yes, but not for a few weeks (not out of lack of confidence, but because I've got exams and *really* should be working now...)

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

yes i am using RC live.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Looking at phpbb.com there seems to be a lot of people trying to run before they can walk. They've seen it's out and they're going for it like a bull in a china shop. Google MODs, portals, styles, the lot.

I wish some of them (especially ones who don't look like they've been trying the betas) would just take a step back and install it somewhere to try it out first and see what you get and how to use it before looking to change anything.

feaelin

Post by feaelin »

I will be using it live. I do have some things that I want to add before upgrading. Some of the mods to 2.x I have have of course been superseded by new features in 3.x, but a couple of the mods haven't.
Kevin Clark wrote:I wish some of them (especially ones who don't look like they've been trying the betas) would just take a step back and install it somewhere to try it out first and see what you get and how to use it before looking to change anything.
You see that a great deal with open source projects; I've heard fairly often with other projects: "hey! I just wrote code so that it can do x/y" "Um...you could do that already, all you had to do is..."

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

I'll probably wait and see how things fall out over the next couple of weeks with conversions from 2.0 on a massive scale before I jump in. I've got a few multiple-year-old forums that I'd like to convert, but I don't have the time or energy to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, so I'll wait to ensure that potential problems are resolved before I dive in. :)

adr3988

Post by adr3988 »

I rushed to download and install it, but the PHP on my host was 4.2.2 so I can't run it. :cry:

Needless to say I fired off a helpdesk ticket straight away. I'll move hosts if need be to run phpBB 3.0...