ACM Modules

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DavidMJ

ACM Modules

Post by DavidMJ »

Alright guys, I have some nice, shiny ACM modules that I wrote a while back. I have tested them locally but would like some further testing done of them, perhaps one of you will stumble across something I have not seen ;)

Using these files nulls you out of any limited support we provide if they are activated in config.php, this goes doubly so for bug reports. Do not submit bug reports while running with this ACM as bugs in the ACM translate into bugs pretty much everywhere else (so don't submit bug reports about how xyz is not working if a non file ACM is activated)
Attachments
acm.zip
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 1381 times
Freedom from fear

SHS`

Re: ACM Modules

Post by SHS` »

Hmmm... I could have closed all bug reports relating to phpBB3 on phpBB.com as invalid had I known. ;) & :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I’ll bite... I suppose testing Firebird can wait a few days.
The timing is kinda funny on this since earlier today I completed testing and posting benchmark results of XCache, APC, and eA with and without Zend O on phpBB3 to see what turned out to be the most efficient method of caching.

I’m not sure what you mean about bug reports... when we find bugs, we should NOT report them while running this module?

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Any problems should be relayed in this thread, not in the tracker.
Freedom from fear

Highway of Life

Only problem I noticed so far is if the actual acm method is not activated on the server and you attempt to use it in the config, you end up with the following errors...

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined function xcache_isset() in /includes/acm/acm_xcache.php on line 41
-- of course, individuals errors for each method attempting to use.
Not sure if you want to use an error-catch there... alerting the user, or leaving it as an error. But thought I should let you know.

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

This is one area where we must assume that the admin has some technical competence, I do not see us rewriting the config.php file inside of the ACP...
Freedom from fear

Highway of Life

Okay, I agree with that.

It should be noted that the eA shm functions such as eaccelerator_get() and _put() won’t work in eA >= 0.9.5. They have been disabled by default.
This was done so that in shared hosting environments, scripts would not fill up the cache causing all scripts to only exist on the disk.
The solution is either to use --with-eaccelerator-shared-memory configure when compile eA 0.9.5, use eA 0.9.4 use an SVN version.
This seems to be the only option unless there is a work-around solution for this problem that I’m not aware of.

APTX

Post by APTX »

I've tested APC, memcache and eaccelerator. They all seem to work well. xcache crashes my server, though I must admit that I'm using an extension for a slightly older version of PHP than mine. :P
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Highway of Life wrote: Okay, I agree with that.

It should be noted that the eA shm functions such as eaccelerator_get() and _put() won’t work in eA >= 0.9.5. They have been disabled by default.
This was done so that in shared hosting environments, scripts would not fill up the cache causing all scripts to only exist on the disk.
The solution is either to use --with-eaccelerator-shared-memory configure when compile eA 0.9.5, use eA 0.9.4 use an SVN version.
This seems to be the only option unless there is a work-around solution for this problem that I’m not aware of.

Aside from what David has said, even acm_file is quite sufficient for a site like phpBB.com (httpd CPU usage is roughly 2x/3x compared to without using a non-acm_file module... but ho-hum), so any site which would require any of the non-acm_file modules are certainly to be on dedicated hosting anyway, or at least virtual private servers... where for the latter the better hosts are wising up to this fact that not having a single server literally shared reduced administrative headache.
Last edited by SHS` on Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Qualified statement for DavidMJ. :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Highway of Life

SHS` wrote: Aside from what David has said, even acm_file is quite sufficient for a site like phpBB.com (httpd CPU usage is roughly 2x/3x compared to without using a non-acm_file module... but ho-hum),
Indeed you are correct.
I’ve logged test results (load times and memory consumption) in identical situations with each phpBB acm method that I’ve tested so far, and although there is a slight improvement by going with a non-file based acm method such as APC or XCache, the benefits are not that huge. -- It would start to be beneficial for much larger sites anyways, but those larger sites will be on virtual, semi-dedicated or dedicated servers. -- however, if there is a workaround for the disabled shm functions of eA 0.9.5, I think they should be considered, as even most/many server administrators are not going to want to have to recompile eA unless they feel there is real benefit. -- or they may not know how to recompile eA -- Though I thought it should be mentioned because server administrators who have eA 0.9.5 are going to experience an error and may not know what it’s about, thinking that it may be a bug in acm_eaccelerator.php, but it’s not... it’s a server configuration with eA.
-- If there is no workable alternative, then that’s understandable, but I think it should be looked into.

I’ve tested XCache and APC so far... I still have the memcache and I’ll recompile eA to work with the shm functions and test that one as well.
So far no problems, but I’ll run my test sites on the alternate acm methods for a while.