ACM Modules

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TerryE

Re: ACM Modules

Post by TerryE »

@Stoker, what are your aggregate page view per day? With that sort of server, assuming that you've got Xcache configured and the huge my.cnf you might start to see some I/O strain about 3M per day. If it's much less then that or is your serving a geographic region where you get ToD hot spots then you might see issues earlier. Read the web pages that I referred you to. If not then your are only trying to tweak the server load to work out whether you are 98% or 99% idle :)

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Okay guys, gzip is now on.

TerryE -> It is some interesting readings. Especielly your board-analysis is interesting, mostly because that is the part I understand the best ;)
Viewtopic is one of the most often modified files, used for showing extra info. This will come in handy when we reach the limit.
Your page is bookmarked.

The answer to your pageviews questions would be overall 100.000 pageviews per day. But my plans are offcourse a much higher number.

There can be several reasons for tweaking:
1. You have a large board compared to your hardware.
2. You want to prepare your system to the future and tweak it so it can handle it.
3. You want to serve your users with highest speed possible giving them the ultimate experience when surfing your board. Here it really doesn't matter how much idle your system is.

At this time 1 is not for me, but 2 and 3 sure is.

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

In terms of (3) I would say that you have three measures that will go a long way to achieving this: (i) zero Q lengths on your physical devices: make sure that you enable Xcache, and load the acm_xcache module; configure your /etc/mysql/my.cnf (or wherever it is) for large or huge; monitor with iostat-x to ensure that it's humming; (ii) make sure that you've HTTP compression turned on; (iii) check the logs for INDEX *; if you have a lot of these (>1%) then your Apache MPM parameters are too tight.

I keep VirtualBox Ubuntu JeOS VMs with full copies of my systems for dev and support. Here you can turn on full MySQL logging to examine in detail what the transactions really do.

WascallyWabbit

Post by WascallyWabbit »

I had a quick question about using xcache with phpbb. Everything is fine, but I noticed that the templates are being cached in both the file directory and in xcache. Just wondering if this is normal or if they should be filtered out of xcache somehow?

Thanks

TerryE

Post by TerryE »

The templates are a form of coding that emphasises presentational clarity and ease of maintenance. However if they were processed in this format per screen view there would be a huge performance hit. The process of compiling templates executes a lot of this overhead as a one off conversion of the invariant aspects to convert this code into native php in the cache directory. This cached php is then cached at the bytecode level by Xcache.

So yes, this does make sense.