The Wow Factor Of phpBB3

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Chris Martin

Re: The Wow Factor Of phpBB3

Post by Chris Martin »

TimJBart wrote:
Chris Martin wrote: I must say, I am pretty impressed with phpBB3, as well. I am a vBulletin user, but phpBB3 is pretty insane. I may decide to make the switch this weekend, but I'm not entirely sure yet. :)

Chris

It's good you can see it as a viable free alternative to vbulletin, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until Release candidate before it is ready to go live and will be supported.

Oh yes, I am well aware of the fact that waiting for the RC release is essential (or, pretty important), but I would set up a test board before taking it live. ;) I'm not saying that it's as good as vBulletin, but it definitely will offer it some competition in some area's.

Chris
TimJBart

Post by TimJBart »

Chris Martin wrote: Oh yes, I am well aware of the fact that waiting for the RC release is essential (or, pretty important), but I would set up a test board before taking it live. ;) I'm not saying that it's as good as vBulletin, but it definitely will offer it some competition in some area's.

Chris

OK, I was just making sure because it was your first post. :)

I reckon that phpbb3 is shaping up to be about the best free board you could possibly ever hope for. I mean, a piece of software this sophisticated....for free!? It is quite amazing.
In vino veritas
Chris Martin

Post by Chris Martin »

OK, I was just making sure because it was your first post. :)

I reckon that phpbb3 is shaping up to be about the best free board you could possibly ever hope for. I mean, a piece of software this sophisticated....for free!? It is quite amazing.

Hehe, no worries. I'm quite an expert. :lol:

phpBB3 is definitely shaping up to be a fantastic piece of free forum software (heck, it already is). I've used just about every piece of forum software there is available (from SMF to IPB, IPB to vBulletin, etc...), and, while I feel that vBulletin is the best combination of features + stability, phpBB3's look and feature set is quite nice. ;)

Chris
SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

TimJBart wrote: Here is the Ubuntu version with Beryl 8)

Awesome! I've got Beryl running in OpenSUSE, for some reason my skydome shows up as a just brown though no matter what image I pick.
Chris Martin

Post by Chris Martin »

Yeah, so I think I'll definitely be using phpBB3 for my personal website. Plus, if I ever want to switch back to vBulletin, I can just log in to the Client Center, and download it. ;) Feature-wise and look-wise, phpBB3 is going to offer vBulletin some major competition.

Chris
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Here is an OS X Tiger version...

And it’s just as pretty on the front side, as it is on the backside (note the code views and MODs in DW and Zend)
TimJBart wrote: OK, I was just making sure because it was your first post. :)

It’s also the most popular, and I’m sure it will grow in popularity once phpBB3 is released.
I think we’ll see droves of people switching from other BB software (no names).