the right procedure when RC1 is out (migration from phpBB2)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cotp

the right procedure when RC1 is out (migration from phpBB2)

Post by cotp »

Hello all :)

I am running a heavily modded phpBB2.22 forum. For testing purpuses I tried to do use the convert tab and migrate to Beta 5 ... but it "bugged".

I just wanted to make sure I have the right procedure when RC1 is out.

1) I backup my phpBB2 database
2) I install a "fresh" brand new phpbb2 non moded forum
3) I import throught phpmyadmin my tables inside the new phpBB2
4) In the same database, I install phpBB3
5) Once installed I convert the phpBB2 database...

I still have a lot of questions but I will try and summurize 2 of them:

a) Is there a google issue since I use url rewriting ? How can I make sure my pages will be with the same and exact url ?

b) I have some custum fields (like name, address, phone etc...) what would be in your opinion a good way to import these fields from users of phpBB2 into phpBB3... ?

Thanks in advance,

Cotp

Stefft

Re: the right procedure when RC1 is out (migration from phpBB2)

Post by Stefft »

Hi,
cotp wrote: 1) I backup my phpBB2 database

You can scrap 2 and 3, it is only about the phpBB2 database, the files are of no sense for an update to phpBB3.
cotp wrote: a) Is there a google issue since I use url rewriting ? How can I make sure my pages will be with the same and exact url ?

Editing your url rewriting within the new urls? There isn't any big difference between phpBB2 urls and phpBB3 urls, so I think it will be easy to change that.
cotp wrote: b) I have some custum fields (like name, address, phone etc...) what would be in your opinion a good way to import these fields from users of phpBB2 into phpBB3... ?

Waiting and hoping that the mod author will write a conversion script. Otherwise people need to refill their information. :)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

cotp wrote: I just wanted to make sure I have the right procedure when RC1 is out.
1) I backup my phpBB2 database

Why would you need a new phpbb2 forum? You're supposed to go straight from your phpbb2-modded to phpbb3-vanilla, installing phpbb3 in a (preferably) different folder, and its tables in the same or different database, with a different prefix.
Mods are a problem, you know. Theoretically the converter should work anyway, but surely you'll lose any extra information stored in phpbb2. The rest should be converted just fine, but it really depends on which mods you have installed, and how they did screw up the database.
Even if it didn't work with beta5, remember that many fixes were made since then. Try out CVS (unsupported) or RC1 once it is released, and if you still encounter problems it may be the case to report them in the bug tracker.
b) I have some custum fields (like name, address, phone etc...) what would be in your opinion a good way to import these fields from users of phpBB2 into phpBB3... ?

I guess you'll either have to do it by yourself or rely on someone to do it.
If it's just the case of a few extra db fields, after converting from phpbb2 to 3, a little php script might transfer this extra data from the old to the new tables, so it should not be that difficult. But it really depends.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Støf wrote: Hi,
cotp wrote: 1) I backup my phpBB2 database

You can scrap 2 and 3, it is only about the phpBB2 database, the files are of no sense for an update to phpBB3.
Thats not true, the convertor need to 2.0.x forum, to copy the ranks etc :)

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

ok can some one tell me the steps and how to update my phpbb2 to 3 when its out in rc as i have not done a test on how and i want to know how when its out.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

You just need to install a fresh phpBB3 forum and the run the converter via the url/phpBB3/install/ page, Obviously as with everything else you need to backup first just in case. In theory though you should not need to do anything to your phpBB2 install, as the converter should ignore mod tables in the database and just convert the data it needs :)

Nicholas the Italian

1. Is this a correct walk-through, am I missing something?
  2. Download phpbb3 RC or final version from phpbb.com
  3. Place phpbb3 files on your webserver, in a different folder than phpbb2 (for example "/phpbb3")
  4. Go to "/phpbb3/install/" and choose "install" to install the board normally (like it was a new and unrelated board); the database for phpbb3 tables can be the same or different (starting from RC converter) from the one containing phpbb2 tables
  5. Put both your phpbb2 and phpbb3 boards off-line
  6. Suggested: make a full backup of your phpbb2 tables (possibly with something a bit more reliable than phpbb2 built-in backup function)
  7. Get back to "/phpbb3/install/" and choose "convert" to migrate phpbb2 database to phpbb3 (may take few minutes to several hours, depending on the board size)
  8. Remove the install folder
  9. Check the conversion was ok, set up permissions and new preferences
  10. To replace the old board, move phpbb2 files folder somewhere else or make a backup of it and rename phpbb3 folder to replace phpbb2 one
  11. Get phpbb3 going and enjoy!
Last edited by Nicholas the Italian on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

Take a look at docs/INSTALL.html ;)

EDIT : I talked to the topic author here ;)
Last edited by jojobarjo32 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas the Italian

jojobarjo32 wrote: Take a look at docs/INSTALL.html ;)

That's way too difficult for the average user ;)

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

My update plan includes the following steps: take the old forum offline. Set up a "we're offline"-page (including some interactive goodies if you must). Shove a .htaccess in place which redirects everybody but myself (i.e. my IP) to the offline page. And then, the fun begins - backup, phpBB3 installation etc. This way, I can test everything "in place", with the original URLs and directories. Of course, these steps are only interesting if you expect some traffic during the upgrade hours.