theFinn: return to development?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: theFinn: return to development?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I had a Comp. Sci. professor who was certainly over sixty, and another who I suspected was.

Oh, and there's always SamG 8)

Sam: I hope that wasn't below the belt
A_Jelly_Doughnut

SamG

Post by SamG »

:mrgreen:
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Yes, one of the best coders in the Danish phpBB community aged 60 in November last year.

I don't remember where I have read it, but I recall having read that it all started with theFinn was asked to code a message baord for his wife for some purpose, which I do not remember. Now see what comes out of taking orders from women! :o

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

John Hjorth wrote: I don't remember where I have read it, but I recall having read that it all started with theFinn was asked to code a message baord for his wife for some purpose, which I do not remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

no mention of the wife :lol:

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I remember something about the Wife too... but I don’t remember where I heard that... :?

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

http://www.phpbb.com/about/history/ wrote: phpBB was originally created by James Atkinson (theFinn) in June 2000, as a UBB-like forum solution for his wife. Once released to the public through Sourceforge, it gained popularity very quickly, and by December of the same year v1.0.0 was released.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Once again, behind all this there's a woman.
Typical.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Highway of Life wrote: Okay, how about over 60?
The Computer Science department I'm studying at has various members of staff older than 60...

3Di

Post by 3Di »

the_dan wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: Okay, how about over 60?
The Computer Science department I'm studying at has various members of staff older than 60...

We know, since the beginning of times, we all are apprentices. That's why, logically, the oldest guys are here in order to guide us.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

karlsemple wrote:
John Hjorth wrote: I don't remember where I have read it, but I recall having read that it all started with theFinn was asked to code a message baord for his wife for some purpose, which I do not remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

no mention of the wife :lol:

From Sitepoint.com Interview - James Atkinson , Founder of phpBB:
How and why did phpBB get started? How did the phpBB team get together? Did you ever think the product would be as popular as it is now?

I started phpBB in the summer of 2000 with the lofty goal of providing my wife with a forum for her Website. At the time, the only real options for forum software that I knew of were UBB and Phorum. UBB was too expensive for a poor college student, and I didn't like the style of Phorum at all. I wanted a good, open source, flat-style message board, so I set to work to clone the look of UBB and offer it for free under GPL.

The team came together after I posted a message on DevShed asking for people to test my new forum. Soon after that, I opened up a project on Sourceforge.net and people began to submit code and ask if they could join the team. It all kind of snowballed from there.