theFinn: return to development?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yexusbeliever

Re: theFinn: return to development?

Post by yexusbeliever »

A_Jelly_Doughnut, great to have a bbs veteran with us still. If we ever have a phpBB historian here, you are the one.
hmm....

Matt12345

Post by Matt12345 »

In terms of the portal project, from what I remember it was not offically "abandoned", but put on hold so the developers could spend the time coding then 2.2 (now Olympus). Paul had posted that it was set aside but not sure when or if development would return. I for one would like to see the project return after Olympus goes Gold and the dev's take some well deserved time off.

-Matt

Matt12345

Post by Matt12345 »

Also, as far as I remember, A_Jelly_Doughnut is correct in that BartVB was never Dev team leader - at least not as far as the authors page for olympus (which has just been modified in CVS) http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/ ... 19&r2=1.20

-Matt

SamG

Post by SamG »

Matt12345 wrote: In terms of the portal project, from what I remember it was not offically "abandoned", but put on hold so the developers could spend the time coding then 2.2 (now Olympus)…
It's true that it was never officially abandoned (as far as I know), but I don't recall any of the developers saying that the project was put on hold because of time constraints during 2.2 development. I recall portal developers saying something to the effect that proper portal integration was problematic with the state of the 2.2 codebase, but we're well beyond that problem. Since the portal team no longer exists, and since when it did exist it was unable to develop anything resurrect-able, I think it's fairer to say that the project was abandoned rather than postponed.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Sam, yes... that was my impression as well.
And I think it’s fair to assume they won’t attempt it again anytime soon in the near future.
Blogger.com wrote: Blogger.com: August 14, 2006
Old Blogger is dead! Long live Blogger!
SHS` wrote: phpBB is dead... long live phpBB!

Must be a famous saying from a movie?

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Highway of Life wrote: Sam, yes... that was my impression as well.
And I think it’s fair to assume they won’t attempt it again anytime soon in the near future.
Blogger.com wrote: Blogger.com: August 14, 2006
Old Blogger is dead! Long live Blogger!
SHS` wrote: phpBB is dead... long live phpBB!

Must be a famous saying from a movie?

I know cultural ignorance and myopia is unfortunately pervasive nowadays... but serious, what the hell do they teach at school now? The world before 1900's didn't exist?
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Matt12345

Post by Matt12345 »

I wonder whatever happened to any of the work that was done on the portal. I know that with all of the code changes since ca. mid 2004 the actual code would not work, but I'm curious to see what their ideas were. The thing that appealed to me most about the phpBB portal was that the portal was going to be built around phpBB, not phpBB integrated into a portal. I dug this link out of my favorites: http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/ ... ideattic=1, but I'd assumed more work had been done, but I guess not.

-Matt

Highway of Life

Not sure I deserved that. :|
Anyhow, I don’t live in England, so I don’t live with sayings/quotes like that on a daily basis. :roll:

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

Highway of Life wrote:
Not sure I deserved that. :|
Anyhow, I don’t live in England, so I don’t live with sayings/quotes like that on a daily basis. :roll:

Well, I don’t live in England too, but this saying is familiar to me. It seems to be more used in Europe than in rest of the world, isn’t it? :mrgreen:
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

Highway of Life

I think so... we’re not thinking about the kings and queens of America because... we don’t have them.
Sure I’ve heard it before, but it was YEARS ago. :D
It’s like we don’t use "cheers", or "Sticky-wicket" (sp?)... most Americans have no idea what either of those mean.
"He’s a Benedict Arnold", "affirmative action", "bachelorette", "from the bayou", "blacktop", "boondocks", "caboose", "catercorner", "cookout", "New York minute" are just a handful of popular terms we Americans use that the rest of the world may or may not not be familiar with.

Anyways, this is offtopic...