Now it's time to verify conversion from BB2 to BB3!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jumborex

Now it's time to verify conversion from BB2 to BB3!

Post by jumborex »

I never made before this tryal: having a phpBB2 Board, trying to translate it into phpBB3. I know, probably I'm late, but now, that I decided to make a try... well... :oops: :oops: :oops: I cannot find the instruction on how to do it. I know instruction is in some part of this site. I've seen it when I wasn't interested to try it! But now! Now I should like to try a conversion and I cannot find it.
Somebody can show me how to do the work, please? :( :cry:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

NeilUK

Re: Now it's time to verify conversion from BB2 to BB3!

Post by NeilUK »

If you download the Beta 5 package you will find installation instructions. However I would wait, Beta 5 is for testing and should not be used in live environment

Hang on for RC1, it will be worth waiting for.
Last edited by NeilUK on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

If you download the phpBB beta5, it's in the docs/install.html file.

Just remember that it should not be used on a live forum until RC1 is released.

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Thanks a lot: I didn't notice it. :oops:
(Thomas Alva Edison)

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Now I made the trial! :P It's working, or at least it looks like it's working.
For the people that have not tryed yet, I would specify that you need first of all install a new phpBB3 board, and in the end you may specify db and directory of a previous installation that will be converted.

I do not know if this conversion tool has been up to now widely discussed: I do not remember, but I must confess I'm not here all the time.
At the moment I've noticed a couple of problems (not so important, but a nuisance).
  1. You must avoid any cross reference in your forums: I made one, and the new version is pointing to the old version. This is a trouble
  2. If you use avatars the new board apparently gives different dimensions: so my animated gif appears to be pixelated (bigger then the original)
Sorry if I said something already discussed. I will not be angry with you if you close my topic and spill salt on the ground to avoid a new construction (as they told somebody made with Carthage) :P
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Ika

Post by Ika »

They also pointed out that a large sum of the conversion tool code has been rewritten so what you just did is not what RC1 will do.
-Ika

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Ika wrote: They also pointed out that a large sum of the conversion tool code has been rewritten so what you just did is not what RC1 will do.

Good. Now, if they fix the convertor so I don't have to put up another forum next to the one I already have (that would be a pita with 3 forums running) then I will be extrememly happy.

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Are you suggesting that it should blow away your previous forum? That's nuts...

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Jhong wrote: Are you suggesting that it should blow away your previous forum? That's nuts...

No. Just update it to the new version like the phpBB2.Y to phpBB2.x does.
In otherwords, just delete the old forum and put the new v3 files in their place, then update the v2 database to v3.
This way, the links to the new phpBB3 forum are the same as they were for the old V2 forum.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

MikeR wrote: In otherwords, just delete the old forum and put the new v3 files in their place, then update the v2 database to v3.

You can replace the old files with new ones (of course the new board won't work until you have done converting), what you can't avoid is having two copies of basically the same database (phpBB2 and phpBB3 versions), taking double (or more) of the space. This is, as far as I understand, for two reasons:
1) because the two databases are totally different, so "changing phpBB2 database into phpBB3 database" would be a nightmare;
2) what if something goes wrong, crashes, etc.? you've lost your data.