suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EvilNui

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by EvilNui »

dhn wrote: edit: Nevermind me :) posted something that wasn't true

You're mean! Now i wanna know what that was :cry:

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

It was stated well over a month ago that unless the bugs (real bugs) reach the 500'ish mark for beta5, there won't be a beta 6. I don't know what the count is now, but you can safely bet that if the phpbb team feel it is required, a beta 6 will happen. The last time I checked, the phpbb team seem to know what they're doing. While I'm sure they appreciate our feedback, we don't need to tell them how run their QA cycle.

P.S. Bug is less. ;)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Bug is down about 15 today… at last count.
Currently at 54.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

why beta 6

i think rc will coming soon

just some bugs in new style and will be fix

i dont suggest any beta version :mrgreen:

Shadow Reaper

Post by Shadow Reaper »

The bugs in the system mainly relate to non-beta version items, so a new version is needed. As for if it requires a new beta, I think not. an RC is "almost ready" version. You can wait for bugs for years at times and never see them. Look at phpbb 2, it has mainly issues with it still, though there is a point where going for perfect is no longer productive in the way it holds up productivity (sorry if it sounds businessy). There are mainly things still to do, like get the documentation completed and fine tuned so it is as helpful as possible. Also an RC version gives modders the ability to develop code that is going to be around 95-99% compatiable with the eventual code for 3.0.0 release. At the same time, the code has to be near perfect in that if there are bugs that could effect many users then they need to be solved or other before going into RC.

My opinion is to let them solve the bugs with the CVS to where they feel that any of the remaining bugs are more of a thing that can be simply fixed and not going to cause a hastle, then go into RC1.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Handyman wrote: All good testers will download the CVS and see if the issues exist in the CVS before reporting it… so as far as I know, it hasn't been an issue so far.

now that I said that, I downloaded a fresh CVS for testing… found a missing tag… reported it.
Then after they said it was there… I re-unpacked the CVS and sure enough… it was there :? I guess I'm just seeing things (bugs) now… they're everywhere… muahahahah
oh… sorry.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

Just agreeing generally with Jhong, would love to see a beta6, I really like the idea of an RC1 almost totally void of bugs :)

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

There will never be a software this big "almost void of bugs". Look at phpbb 2.0.x. Still a lot of reported bugs, more than Olympus. Does that mean that it should still be in beta? Olympus is already good enough. I hope the devs don't think this way, otherwise we will never see RC1, let alone gold.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

DragonlordP wrote: There will never be a software this big "almost void of bugs". Look at phpbb 2.0.x. Still a lot of reported bugs, more than Olympus. Does that mean that it should still be in beta? Olympus is already good enough. I hope the devs don't think this way, otherwise we will never see RC1, let alone gold.

amen

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

i think about 10000 person now use phpbb3

in phpbb.com or in them forums

bugs not much as all see it

must we find some bugs becouse most of as convert an test it
Real testing