Locking Topics

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
pentapenguin

Re: Locking Topics

Post by pentapenguin »

KFCSpike wrote: I locked it myself by mistake :oops:

If you are talking about a topic here use the report post icon and ask a moderator to reopen it for you....
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions

cammie895

Post by cammie895 »

Just curious...when it comes to spam posts, why lock the topic as opposed to deleting them? I have seen countless "Nokia for sale," etc., topics here that are locked and I just don't get it. If it's simply to increase post counts I hardly think that is necessary on a huge board like this. And it just adds more to scroll through while looking for the good conversations. I understand locking conversations that have gone off track but I don't get the spam posts. I would have thought it would be better to delete them entirely. Is there some good reason for keeping them that I am unaware of?

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

This reminds me when someone recently suggested going through and moderating all GD posts. cammie895 are you suggesting and volunteering to be the first member of the SPAM DELETION team? There's more of it than you realize. Shorter more obvious answer is it's easier to hit lock than to go through the MCP and mark every single post for deletion. I'd hate just thinking about it. I'm sure they do too.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

bonelifer wrote: This reminds me when someone recently suggested going through and moderating all GD posts. cammie895 are you suggesting and volunteering to be the first member of the SPAM DELETION team? There's more of it than you realize. Shorter more obvious answer is it's easier to hit lock than to go through the MCP and mark every single post for deletion. I'd hate just thinking about it. I'm sure they do too.

Mark every post for deletion? it takes just as long to delete a topic as it does to lock it.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

KFCSpike

Post by KFCSpike »

pentapenguin wrote:
KFCSpike wrote: I locked it myself by mistake :oops:

If you are talking about a topic here use the report post icon and ask a moderator to reopen it for you....

I would have pentapenguin but I found the answer to my question after searching again so the post probably deserved to be locked anyway :wink:

pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

cammie895 wrote: Just curious...when it comes to spam posts, why lock the topic as opposed to deleting them? I have seen countless "Nokia for sale," etc., topics here that are locked and I just don't get it. If it's simply to increase post counts I hardly think that is necessary on a huge board like this. And it just adds more to scroll through while looking for the good conversations. I understand locking conversations that have gone off track but I don't get the spam posts. I would have thought it would be better to delete them entirely. Is there some good reason for keeping them that I am unaware of?

I have no idea. I doubt a moderator team member would mind if you asked nicely....
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions

cammie895

Post by cammie895 »

bonelifer wrote: This reminds me when someone recently suggested going through and moderating all GD posts. cammie895 are you suggesting and volunteering to be the first member of the SPAM DELETION team? There's more of it than you realize. Shorter more obvious answer is it's easier to hit lock than to go through the MCP and mark every single post for deletion. I'd hate just thinking about it. I'm sure they do too.

Sorry...I didn't know it took longer for moderators to delete posts than it does to lock them. On my phpBB forum I just hit the little X button in the corner right next to the lock button and it deletes it the post. I'm the admin though, and didn't realize it was a different process for moderators. I guess I figured they had the same X button that admins do. I'm certainly not calling for extra work for anyone. I was just curious.

SamG

Post by SamG »

I'm not sure it's about the level of work involved. Unless things have changed (and that's entirely possible), it has to do with procedure. At the main forums, very little gets deleted, though it looks otherwise. Most everything is moved to a private circular file. Here at area51, a development workshop, moderators simply didn't have that option, and I'm guessing they still don't.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood