prosilver discussion among users

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
matthewf

Re: prosilver discussion among users

Post by matthewf »

I too am not keen on having the avatar / author /post count on the right, I would have to agree with large images that might destroy the layout, of though I would have though that some sort of image tags that resize images would come in handy, but getting users to them them might be an uphill struggle, overall the style is ok, be be nice mind if the devs do decide to release it for testing, before the gold release

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

matthewf wrote: I too am not keen on having the avatar / author /post count on the right, I would have to agree with large images that might destroy the layout, of though I would have though that some sort of image tags that resize images would come in handy, but getting users to them them might be an uphill struggle, overall the style is ok, be be nice mind if the devs do decide to release it for testing, before the gold release
Big images won't destroy the layout: they'll just stretch the post container in which they are placed.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

the_dan wrote:
matthewf wrote: I too am not keen on having the avatar / author /post count on the right, I would have to agree with large images that might destroy the layout, of though I would have though that some sort of image tags that resize images would come in handy, but getting users to them them might be an uphill struggle, overall the style is ok, be be nice mind if the devs do decide to release it for testing, before the gold release
Big images won't destroy the layout: they'll just stretch the post container in which they are placed.

Yeah that's what I was assuming as well. The layout breaking was a common problem with phpBB2 and the issue has already been addressed in BB3.

I definitely like Prosilver. While I have a mixed opinion on the flipped layout, I'm going to use it here before I make any assumptions about what information is "more important."

Prosilver is definitely something we have not seen often in forums (which I think we're in agreement that with all the talking up that has been done about it, is a good thing!). It's a very moddern css-y (haha) layout that definitely separates phpbb3 from phpbb2. I think that with a few customizations for our personal forum (maybe including flipping the avatar to the other side) it will be a great layout that will get away from all the "why is the layout grey and boring?" comments.

I do, however, wish that the style would be released to us before Gold. Just as we need to test and learn the ropes on the new coding, admin backend, etc, we need to learn the new layout. Layout customization is going to be one of the first things most large forums will be doing (add logos, small tweaks) and the more time they have to become aquainted with both the templating system and prosilver, the better. However, I also respect the developers opinions if they wish to keep it view-only.

On the whole, I am very impressed.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I don't think the awesomeness of the new style may be truly appreciated until you return to this site, and see how dated it looks all of a sudden!

code reader

Post by code reader »

one strange thing is that for some reason, subBlue completely eliminated the text color palette in the posting page.
anyone knows why?

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

I never did wanted to complain that subSilver is kinda plain and ugly looking. LoL! But prosilver will make that all the better. :)
hmm....

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

the_dan wrote:
matthewf wrote: I too am not keen on having the avatar / author /post count on the right, I would have to agree with large images that might destroy the layout,
I think you guys are forgetting an important note...
proSilver ships with a fluid width of 100% NOT a set width.
The set width is only for phpBB.com

And as for phpbb.com, it’s possible they have the config values set to restrict the width for img BBCodes beyond the set width of the postbody, so it may not be a problem at all on phpbb.com.
Or they could have a CSS value set for overflow, that is another solution for fixed width forums.
It would only affect the one post that the image is posted on.

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

the_dan wrote: I don't think the awesomeness of the new style may be truly appreciated until you return to this site, and see how dated it looks all of a sudden!

I agree :) Before, subSilver 2 looked to me like a nice theme that I really liked. Now... how "sad" it looks compared to proSilver :P

Will it be possible to have also proSilver here on area51 or the teams have decided to keep it only for the main website ? I would really like to have it here :)
code reader wrote: one strange thing is that for some reason, subBlue completely eliminated the text color palette in the posting page.
anyone knows why?

A related bug has been already posted :) Maybe just an omission :) (we can also note that the new smilies subBlue's talking about in the proSilver's development pages are not there at the moment).

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

the_dan wrote: I don't think the awesomeness of the new style may be truly appreciated until you return to this site, and see how dated it looks all of a sudden!

Dated or whatever i like this layout better.

Dont care at all for the flipped look

Dont care for the new Announcements look or the new viewforum look at all. Very sloppy looking. The thread/topic starters nicks should not be thrown in with the thread title. One of the main things i dont care for with vBulletin's look. Looks much better having them show in the center like it was and still shows on this subsilver.
Basically ruined the importance of a sticky topic.

As handyman mentioned
I too would like to see the who's online, board details and birthdays put inside a colored box instead of making them look like they fell out of a table.
I think they need their own place to sleep

I agree 100% with what he said.

This prosilver just looks very sloppy imo.

I do like the new colors used and as well the new homepage.

Bob in Iowa

Post by Bob in Iowa »

Overall, I like the look of prosilver on the phpBB board. I like the colors and the basic layout, except for the user information in viewtopic being located on the right. Probably, one of the first things that I will change is to move that information to the left.

I also agree that on the index page, the manner in which the who's online and stats are displayed give the page a look that is unfinished. I would prefer to see that information enclosed in a box like the forum info. However, maybe after I modify it in that manner, the original layout will look better. :lol:

I do hope that prosilver will be included in RC1 so that we can all begin to work with it.