proSilver

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
code reader

proSilver

Post by code reader »

first, congrats for getting the main site back online.
second, i like the new design.
third: now, that the cat is out, so to speak, and everybody can see the new design, how about adding it to the cvs? this will make testing a lot easier.

thanks.
Last edited by code reader on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron2K

Re: proSilver

Post by Ron2K »

AFAIK, the new style will only be made available for us to use when phpBB 3 goes gold, so you'll have to wait until then.
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Ron2K wrote: AFAIK, the new style will only be made available for us to use when phpBB 3 goes gold, so you'll have to wait until then.

But, since it is now public (you can get CSS and imageset and everything), which was not planned, they might change their mind and include it in RC? Just wondering.
If someone wants to steal it, he can do it now; but since it has been published on phpBB.com, I don't think there's the need to keep it hidden anymore...

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Good point, that. Oh well, guess the "wait and see" attitude applies. :P
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
Ron2K wrote: AFAIK, the new style will only be made available for us to use when phpBB 3 goes gold, so you'll have to wait until then.

But, since it is now public (you can get CSS and imageset and everything), which was not planned, they might change their mind and include it in RC? Just wondering.
If someone wants to steal it, he can do it now; but since it has been published on phpBB.com, I don't think there's the need to keep it hidden anymore...
Have you tried?
It’s not possible to steal it. ;)

Yes, you can get the CSS, and probably most/all the images.
You cannot get the templates, which are the single most important aspect of proSilver. :)

I still believe the Dev team will NOT release it until Gold.
Why?
They can now test the style completely without releasing it, so they no longer need to release it.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Highway of Life wrote: Have you tried?

Impossible is nothing! :P
It's not easy, but it's mainly CSS + images, XHTML is more about actual data.
Anyway, they don't risk anymore to be frauded of the title of "creators of prosilver", so why not include it in a release candidate (which is a release candidate)?
They don't need to test it, but we do. And designers too.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Yes, you can get the CSS, and probably most/all the images.
You cannot get the templates, which are the single most important aspect of proSilver. :)

I still believe the Dev team will NOT release it until Gold.
Why?
They can now test the style completely without releasing it, so they no longer need to release it.

hol,
when people talk about "stealing the design", they do not normally refer to copying of the files themselves, but rather picking up the general "look and feel".
it is not practical, ttbomk, for any leading board software to pick up the template files, because none actually uses a template mechanism identical to phpbb (smarty-based, but with many phpbb-specific changes).
it is my understanding that the incident that led to this paranoia, ie. the pick-up of subSilver design before phpbb 2.0 was released, also was about picking up the design, rather than the template files themselves.

and the logic behind "they can test the style completely", imo, is flawed.
using the same logic, there shouldn't have been a beta: after all, if "they can test the style completely", why can't they test the whole shebang completely?
clearly they can't. in reality, even releasing it will not mean "test it completely". some bugs will certainly remain undetected (or at least unreported) even when the whole community is testing it.
specifically, issues related to other languages, and especially RTL languages are not really tested by the team.
in my mind, the only reason not to release the proSilver design is not valid any more, while all the reasons to release it are as valid as they ever were.

(btw: is phpbb.com down again? i sure hope it's nothing serious...)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

IMO, I was ok with the fact that they were going to display proSilver and package it only after phpBB3 hit gold, but now that we all see it and know what it looks like, why not put it in the CVS?
What's the point of not doing that now?
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Correct me if im wrong, but is there anything in the style files that can not be accessed by a web browser? All you need is a complete file-listing (and that is supplied in the beta package). So they night as well release the new theme in the CVS for testing purposes.

Test: styles/subSilver/template/mcp_forum.html

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

Kokuei wrote:

Correct me if im wrong, but is there anything in the style files that can not be accessed by a web browser? All you need is a complete file-listing (and that is supplied in the beta package). So they night as well release the new theme in the CVS for testing purposes.

Test: styles/subSilver/template/mcp_forum.html

They don't need to make .html files in the template directory accessible from the web side... They are only read by the template/cache system on the server.
So they can protect the not-super-secret-anymore style if they want to.