proSilver

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jojobarjo32

Re: proSilver

Post by jojobarjo32 »

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Acyd Burn wrote: But maybe everyone you talked to only forwarded the assumptions they got from others. :D But yes, i can think of some reasons why there are some saying "no, this will be definatly only released with gold" - i think even Paul (psoTFX) said it a long time ago. But at the end of the day this is a descision i have to make in accordance with the other team leaders - and sometimes it also happens that we change minds and re-think situations based on other events. ;) Most people call us close-minded, that is fine, i do not care. :D But i care about the software and it's surroundings (this includes the community and the people using it) - even if it does not look like it sometimes. Within the process of leading development you also make some bad descisions, but these are learning lessons. Sometimes you also need to make "unpopular" descisions to be able to reach the set goal. ;)
SHS` has even said it. ;)

But yes, I completely understand your sentiments regarding the situation, and especially surrounding the server failure with .com
I realize you guys planned on releasing the new style later, and planned on converting .com at a later date as well, but the downtime provided a perfect opportunity.
It’s what many of us would have done, put in that same situation.
And although we are experiencing a small backlash -- users thinking they can run their beta boards live now, and of course, the controversy regarding when the new style will be released to the public. -- I think most of us agree with the decision made.

BTW, it’s spelled “decisions” in UK English AFAIK. ;)

We do appreciate your hard work, and understand many of the decisions that face a lead developer, and we will respect you and support you guys with any decision you decide to make (within reason, of course :P )

It’s not the waiting that’s killing us, it’s the anticipation.
So... people will talk... let em' ;)

gionnico

Post by gionnico »

profpete wrote:
gionnico wrote: What is "gold" ? :P

gold n. a precious yellow metallic element, highly malleable and ductile, and not subject to oxidation or corrosion. Symbol: Au; atomic weight: 196.967; atomic number: 79; specific gravity: 19.3 at 20°C.

Well, you asked :P

"yes" ... :roll:

Then what is phpBB gold ? :P
The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

wctaiwan

Post by wctaiwan »

gionnico wrote: Then what is phpBB gold ? :P

Sorry I just had to. :P

wctaiwan

P.S. But hey, I was basically playing around with the hue thing, and to be honest, there are quite a few great looking colour variations...

DarsVaeda

Post by DarsVaeda »

this :arrow: http://www.phpbb.com/development/prosilver/
is cool :!:
i never saw that :oops:
is that on for a long time and i'm just an idiot or was it unlocked with the new design?
do we get more of such "features"?

ps: even if those smilies are 3 years old, they are still cool ones...hope they will be released too :mrgreen:
"They say time is the fire in which we burn."

TerraPedia.org

Synaptic Anarchy

Post by Synaptic Anarchy »

It's not hard to have more than one good-looking color scheme on a largely achromatic style.

Congratulations on discovering how the first 57436573624957823648243 clones of Prosilver found in the styles database will be made.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Martin Blank wrote: You're probably right about Paul being the one to say it, Meik, but as there was never an official change in the policy since then (and many other policies stayed in place after his departure), there was no reason to believe that it had changed. The subject had been brought up on numerous occasions in the time since, and no one has ever contradicted it. In fact, I believe several team members reiterated it over that time, so while you are certainly free to change your mind about it, we did have reason to believe that we wouldn't see the new style until gold release.

Not to drag out any argument, but I think Martin has expressed this nicely and accurately. As a former team member, I was never led to believe anything but that this decision would not be revisited. A few of us who've been around long enough to know the history have been defending that decision right up until recently, and to my knowledge nobody did so much as drop these people a PM saying, "Well, we just want you to know that we've been thinking about that."

I guess from here on out it's best for those of us old timers who think we're helping to stay out of these discussions, to avoid propagating misinformation.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Thatbitextra
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Synaptic Anarchy wrote: It's not hard to have more than one good-looking color scheme on a largely achromatic style.

How is it achromatic? I can only guess you mean monochromatic, in which case you are still wrong :roll:
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

wctaiwan wrote:
gionnico wrote: Then what is phpBB gold ? :P

Sorry I just had to. :P

wctaiwan

P.S. But hey, I was basically playing around with the hue thing, and to be honest, there are quite a few great looking colour variations...

8O Awesome! :)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply