Question about conversion.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
nopeekiepeekie

Question about conversion.

Post by nopeekiepeekie »

I've never converted phpBB before. I didn't use 1.x, started out on 2.0.5 i do believe.

Anyhow, when converting from 2 to 3 what will happen with the mods and styles that are installed?

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Question about conversion.

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

nopeekiepeekie wrote: I've never converted phpBB before. I didn't use 1.x, started out on 2.0.5 i do believe.
Anyhow, when converting from 2 to 3 what will happen with the mods and styles that are installed?

As a general rule, they'll be gone.
phpBB2 styles and mods are not compatible with v.3 (although some phpbb2 mods are now built in phpbb3).
You'll have to wait for mods and styles to be ported to v.3, or for new ones similar to the old ones to be created.

nopeekiepeekie

Post by nopeekiepeekie »

thank you for the quick response nicholas. it's sad to know that i've put all this work into this board and it will be lost if i choose to upgrade to 3 when it goes live. oh well. :lol:

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

nopeekiepeekie wrote: thank you for the quick response nicholas. it's sad to know that i've put all this work into this board and it will be lost if i choose to upgrade to 3 when it goes live. oh well. :lol:

Well, actually, there should be (or there should be going to be... ehm...) a way to save something (diffs or so). I'm not 100% certain that all will be lost.
But this is far beyond my knowledge, so I'd like to know too, by some more expert member, if there's some (not over-complicated) way around this.

Phil

Post by Phil »

There's really no way around it. phpBB3's whole style of coding and structure is so much different that your only solution is to re-apply/re-make everything by hand.
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.

cammie895

Post by cammie895 »

I'm actually kind of glad to hear that they will be gone. I was worried that they would still all be there but would be broken from not being compatible in certain areas. I don't want to do a completely clean install because I want to transfer my users and posts, but beyond that I'd be in heaven if the rest just didn't show up at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until RC1 comes out and I can try to convert. I have some styles and mod in there right now that I wish I hadn't put in to begin with.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when available, the conversion to phpbb3 is only going to be a conversion of the database, not the files. the phpbb3 files will all be brand new.

you will not be able to use any of the old files when you upgrade to phpbb3.

robert

Phainein Terra

Post by Phainein Terra »

Question: Can you download the Beta form and be able to upgrade to RC1 easily when it comes out? I'm thinking of setting up a forum for a project that will only include a few people at first but may grow to many more than that after a few months. I was just going to wait to RC1 to set up the forum but if it will be easy to upgrade I might as well do it now.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

simple question nope. Why not cos ther will be no support on betas updated to RC's and there will be no update script for it
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Rotsblok wrote: simple question nope. Why not cos ther will be no support on betas updated to RC's and there will be no update script for it

As stated above the answer to that is no, the converter which was released with beta5 was full of bugs which are likely to cause problems in the future. Thus you are best waiting for the release of RC or using phpBB and then upgrading when the time is right :)