discuss about phpBB3 and db high load

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ac_roma

discuss about phpBB3 and db high load

Post by ac_roma »

hello every body

i want to ask does phpBB3 will destroy db high load & alot of Queries

in db

my server will destroy soon becouse my database have very high load

i uninstall all un necessary mods

but i have big problem with my db & very big high load

i hope phpBB3 have soulation for that

any idea?

my forum have usually 200 member online always

i want to kknow from persons who used phpbb3 beta

does they feell any change between v.2 &v.3 about database load

karlsemple

Re: discuss about phpBB3 and db high load

Post by karlsemple »

If you are using mysql you can use the mysql full text search setting in phpBB3 which will relieve the stress applied by the search tables you have in phpBB2. To be honest though a really busy site will still require pretty high spec hardware to run it, regardless of the software. phpBB can be optimized as much as possible but it still makes queries to the database, so a heavy user load will still result in a lot of queries and thus load on the server.

philderbeast

Post by philderbeast »

phpBB3 has been fairly well optimized in comparison to phpBB 2.x

there is a topic just below this one with comments about this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27173

and as for people that have used phpBB3 beta your using it now. And as of this post we are getting page generation times of 0.070s with 244 users online :)

that about as fast as you can get with making a connection to a database in my experience.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

philderbeast wrote: and as for people that have used phpBB3 beta your using it now. And as of this post we are getting page generation times of 0.070s with 244 users online :)

that about as fast as you can get with making a connection to a database in my experience.

In all fairness that's as much to do with the hardware as it is the software.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

karlsemple wrote: If you are using mysql you can use the mysql full text search setting in phpBB3 which will relieve the stress applied by the search tables you have in phpBB2. To be honest though a really busy site will still require pretty high spec hardware to run it, regardless of the software. phpBB can be optimized as much as possible but it still makes queries to the database, so a heavy user load will still result in a lot of queries and thus load on the server.

i know of that phpbb3 will have same high quires

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

ok i will try to say this in a easy way ok no matter what you put on your server/sql it will use load but that load can be high or low depending on how good your server is.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

bad-dj wrote: ok i will try to say this in a easy way ok no matter what you put on your server/sql it will use load but that load can be high or low depending on how good your server is.

i have good and stong server

if i wasnt my forum was drob down 2 month ago :mrgreen:

if anyone see my database load will get mad :(

philderbeast

Post by philderbeast »

karlsemple wrote:
philderbeast wrote: *snip*

In all fairness that's as much to do with the hardware as it is the software.

I have done some testing on various servers ranging from a p2 1ghz to Dual Xeon 3.0ghz Dual Core boxes and found that its still a very similar number at around .06 seconds to make a connection and do a query or 2 on a database :)

While this was only done with mysql so it might differ using other DBMS and yes the load was the same during all tests, and from what i can tell it just seems to be the mainly speed of query's that changed with a higher performance hardware and server load.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

In all fairness that's as much to do with the hardware as it is the software.[/quote]

I have done some testing on various servers ranging from a p2 1ghz to Dual Xeon 3.0ghz Dual Core boxes and found that its still a very similar number at around .06 seconds to make a connection and do a query or 2 on a database :)

While this was only done with mysql so it might differ using other DBMS and yes the load was the same during all tests, and from what i can tell it just seems to be the mainly speed of query's that changed with a higher performance hardware and server load.[/quote]

does you mean PHPBB3 will have same query

if that happen i will close my forum becouse i cant have many servers :mrgreen:

and cant use any script on my forum

becouse i love phpbb :mrgreen:

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

ac_roma wrote: does you mean PHPBB3 will have same query
if that happen i will close my forum becouse i cant have many servers :mrgreen:

Actually, phpBB3 does more queries than phpBB2, but it's optimized so many queries are cached = results are saved and can be used many times without querying the db again and again, which means a lot of load less.
I too had asked if someone had real comparisons (= numbers, percentages) between v.3 and v.2, but it doesn't seem so. Someone said phpBB3 is designed with big boards in mind, so I think it should be better than v.2 from this point of view.
In the end, what you should do is just try.