Difference between admin roles?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Starcraftmazter

Difference between admin roles?

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Hi.

Can someone tell me the difference between the rules of; standard admin, full admin, forum admin, user and groups admin.

Thanks!

matthewf

Re: Difference between admin roles?

Post by matthewf »

well the full admin allows the user to do everything, backup and restore databases, select styles, view php info,

the standard admin can't add any admin or edit the admin roles, but can add mods, but can't edit the roles, then again a standard admin can't edit any role, also can't backup or restore DB, can't view php info, can manage groups, (non founder protected) can edt the forum and user permissions

forum admin can only manage forums, nothing else, and users and groups admin can only manage users and groups, (not protected by founder status)

to really see these roles in action, I would suggest you create a test user and assign it to each role, mess around with it and assign it to the next one, also as full admin, goto ACP > permissions > admin roles, then click the green symbol beside each role, (also you can create and edit the roles using this page / featurr

I hope that answers your question? if not ask again

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

You can go to: http://yourwebsite.tld/forum/adm/index.php?i=permission_roles&mode=admin_roles
And read the descriptions of each role to find out exactly what they do. :D

dhn

Post by dhn »

It was not easy to come up with admin roles that make sense back when we had to decide on some standard ones. So the ones that are not Standard and Full are more examples than usable roles in most cases.

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Alright, thanks guys!!

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

matthewf wrote: well the full admin allows the user to do everything, backup and restore databases, select styles, view php info,

the standard admin can't add any admin or edit the admin roles, but can add mods, but can't edit the roles, then again a standard admin can't edit any role, also can't backup or restore DB, can't view php info, can manage groups, (non founder protected) can edt the forum and user permissions

forum admin can only manage forums, nothing else, and users and groups admin can only manage users and groups, (not protected by founder status)

to really see these roles in action, I would suggest you create a test user and assign it to each role, mess around with it and assign it to the next one, also as full admin, goto ACP > permissions > admin roles, then click the green symbol beside each role, (also you can create and edit the roles using this page / featurr

I hope that answers your question? if not ask again

Wow! That's awesome! I never try the admin out and now I know.
hmm....

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

dhn wrote: It was not easy to come up with admin roles that make sense back when we had to decide on some standard ones. So the ones that are not Standard and Full are more examples than usable roles in most cases.

I think all the roles, not just the admin ones have been well thought out, its also nice that you can edit and add roles, that simple feature in itself makes phpbb3 so great, while the standard admin can add moderators, a simple edit to the standard role then they won't be able to, that is what I like about phpbb3 is that you can customise it so much

overall I say that the roles are very powerful, Im sure once phpbb3 is final, Im sure a lot of admin will make use of them all