How can anyone help the code development ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
acidburn2007

How can anyone help the code development ?

Post by acidburn2007 »

I've been using phpbb for some time now and I'd like to contribute to it by helping the coding process. So how do I go about it? Do I just fix a bug from http://www.phpbb.com/bugs and post the patch ? If so where do I post it (this forum, maillist)? Is there a phpbb janitorial page where I can see what developers don't have time for?
Sorry if there's already a page or topic concerning this subject. If so just point me the right way.

b3rx

Re: How can anyone help the code development ?

Post by b3rx »

i see this topic going to be locked very soon..
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

If you really want to help then you are best installing and running the beta of phpBB3 and looking out for any bugs and then submitting them with a fix if you can write a fix, http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/

However it is worth noting, the developers of phpBB are a small group who are chosen by invitation only and thus new members can not just offer their services and be allowed to be a developer :)

brucecw

Post by brucecw »

karlsemple wrote: If you really want to help then you are best installing and running the beta of phpBB3 and looking out for any bugs and then submitting them with a fix if you can write a fix, http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/

It would also be possible also to write any useful comments on existing bugs in that same forum (such as any additional information you're able to figure out and/or a proposed fix).

However at this stage I would seriously doubt that anyone else would be allowed onto the developer team at least until it goes gold (barring some kind of major meltdown in the current developer team). Adding new people (no matter how good they are) to a project this late in its development cycle is one of the ways to make things take even longer, one other way being adding major features to the product (or even more than a very small number of minor features). Both of these have been summarily rejected by the developers numerous times in the past year (and rightly so). :)