Converting phpBB2 > phpBB3 (Harder than it looks)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Rotsblok

Re: Converting phpBB2 > phpBB3 (Harder than it looks)

Post by Rotsblok »

if im correct with this the converter only converts standards not the added fields (unless they are from the attachment mod by acyd and some minor other mods). The rest will be ignored
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

If your phpBB2 [database] is heavily modified, i.e. not just added tables or fields, but changed existing tables and/or fields, then you are toast. :)

Your options if that is the case:
  • Stick with your phpBB2 board
  • Start clean with phpBB3
  • Try the converter anyways, as you might be able to salvage at least your users and maybe some of your other tables.
  • If all else fails and you really want to go with phpBB3 but retain users/posts/forums etc... build a conversion script, or modify the exciting one to accommodate your needs.

iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

I posted this problem because when inserting phpbb_topics (phpBB2) into phpbb_posts (phpBB3 - since phpbb_topics table has been removed) it says: f.id or something is missing.
Danopia: wats wrong with windows server?
Iyeru: Everything
Danopia: r u another stereotyper?
Iyeru: No, I'm not a stereotyper.
Iyeru: In fact, I don't think I can type in stereo.

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Highway of Life wrote: If your phpBB2 [database] is heavily modified, i.e. not just added tables or fields, but changed existing tables and/or fields, then you are toast. :)

8O I'm running the digest MOD and I think it added a couple of tables when it was installed. Is this going to cause a problem when I convert? Should I drop those two tables before converting or would that do any good?
Plano, Texas

KFCSpike

Post by KFCSpike »

Obvious answer to the various conversion questions is try it and see :P

As I understand it, the conversion script will ignore your old mods (and any added tables).
If you follow the instructions correctly, the new v3 forum is in a different directory and the old v2 forum is left intact so there is nothing to lose by giving it a go.
You can always delete the new version and continue using v2 if you don't like the results :)

Edit: whoops, just realised that Highway of Life has already mentioned the 'try it and see' approach in one of the bullet points in previous message.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

iyeru42 wrote: I posted this problem because when inserting phpbb_topics (phpBB2) into phpbb_posts (phpBB3 - since phpbb_topics table has been removed) it says: f.id or something is missing.

I did not get this error when I used the converter. Your issue seems somewhat unique to your forum. Is your phpbb2 forum modified in any way from standard version? Also, what version of phpbb2 are you trying to upgrade? v2.0.22 is the latest.

iyeru42

Post by iyeru42 »

The Grinch wrote:
iyeru42 wrote: I posted this problem because when inserting phpbb_topics (phpBB2) into phpbb_posts (phpBB3 - since phpbb_topics table has been removed) it says: f.id or something is missing.

I did not get this error when I used the converter. Your issue seems somewhat unique to your forum. Is your phpbb2 forum modified in any way from standard version? Also, what version of phpbb2 are you trying to upgrade? v2.0.22 is the latest.

No, I didn't use the converter, I just inserted my topics table (phpBB2) into the posts table (phpbb3) since there is no more topics table in phpBB3.
Danopia: wats wrong with windows server?
Iyeru: Everything
Danopia: r u another stereotyper?
Iyeru: No, I'm not a stereotyper.
Iyeru: In fact, I don't think I can type in stereo.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Want to convert ... use the convertor. No point in discussing anything other than the offical convertor.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

You can't just stick a table from phpbb2 into phpbb3. The table structures have changed vastly. You MUST use the converter first.

This is like trying to put a cassette tape inside the DVD drive tray. It's not gonna work. ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

The Grinch wrote: This is like trying to put a cassette tape inside the DVD drive tray. It's not gonna work. ;)
Darn, it's not?! and all this time, I thought my old cassettes were still usable!
You've just depreciated my entire cassette collection. :(