User administration

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
nuttynovas

User administration

Post by nuttynovas »

When I'm administrating a User there is no way to distinguish which user I'm administrating if i go from page to page of their user administration section? :?

I have quite often forgot who I'm editing and a simple display of there username instead of 'USER' would be most helpful i think

I have done a before and after to make it more simple to understand. :|
Attachments
user_admin_before.jpg
(75.72 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times
user_admin_after.jpg
(76.43 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times

iyeru42

Re: User administration

Post by iyeru42 »

This is exactly why the username is displayed first on the admin form for users.
Danopia: wats wrong with windows server?
Iyeru: Everything
Danopia: r u another stereotyper?
Iyeru: No, I'm not a stereotyper.
Iyeru: In fact, I don't think I can type in stereo.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

That was a gripe of mine as well... I just added a bit of code in the ACP to make it easier on our Admins to see who they were editing.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Add it to the bug tracker.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Not really related, but... do you ever happen to edit a post instead of quoting it, or viceversa?
It's rather annoying when you come up deleting the original message because you thought you were editing it... :?
Any idea for making it safer/clearer that you're editing, not quoting? I was thinking about a different color for the text area, or a confirmation when you edit someone else's posts...

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Not really related, but... do you ever happen to edit a post instead of quoting it, or viceversa?
It's rather annoying when you come up deleting the original message because you thought you were editing it... :?
Any idea for making it safer/clearer that you're editing, not quoting? I was thinking about a different color for the text area, or a confirmation when you edit someone else's posts...

I am always doing that with phpBB2 and phpBB3, editing posts I want to quote :roll:

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

on my phpBB2 forum i even deleted a whole topic since i was conviced that the x was for the locking :oops: the funny thing was i just edited a post in that topic. how a wast of time :P
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Rotsblok wrote: on my phpBB2 forum i even deleted a whole topic since i was conviced that the x was for the locking

Well, doesn't it ask for confirmation then...

Anyway, I'd almost call this a "security issue" (users' data involved)... bug tracker?
But I'd like to have some serious&easy solution to suggest.

PS: i was quoting myself instead of editing right now... :roll:

Klors

Post by Klors »

You could change the edit button for your style so that it was more obvious if you wish. Personally I usually realise and catch myself before I hit submit.

marosell

Post by marosell »

there probably should be a edit-post confirmation. put it on the bug tracker, it can't hurt. if the team says no, then they say no. no biggie