phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jimmygoon

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by jimmygoon »

tffnguy wrote:
SHS` wrote: Analogy time... if you had a removals firm in to shift the furniture from your old house to new, do you really expect if you ordered some new furniture from a shop, separate items will be delivered to both houses? Some common sense please!

Whilst the documentation (http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/*check ... _B5#prereq) omits the fact you should disable your phpBB2 forum first, it's a requirement just upgrading phpBB2 anyway... so logically (that common sense thing again) it follows that if you are converting a forum, you'd need to disable the source forum, otherwise you'd be converting a moving target.

Me Bad! :oops: I assumed that if the forums weren't being used when the upgrade happened or in this case conversion that it would be the same as disabling the forums. I'd never upgrade my real forums without shutting them down first.

But what I was talking about is that when posting in the still active phpBB2 forums the posts don't show up in phpBB3 or visa versa. Should they?

No. That would require the code some how mutating and not only learning what the phpbb3 database is or the table prefix is but also it would have to "grow" the code persay to learn how to post to both tables, and both formats. more logic ;)

short answer: absolutely not.

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Bummer! Now back to the question about having the same messages from two different forums in the same database doesn't that about double the size of the database? Just curious on this one.
Plano, Texas

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

tffnguy wrote: Bummer! Now back to the question about having the same messages from two different forums in the same database doesn't that about double the size of the database? Just curious on this one.

I think that goes without saying, the more you have in a database the more the size will increase :)

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

karlsemple wrote: I think that goes without saying, the more you have in a database the more the size will increase :)

Will there be a way to remove the unused data once an old forum has been shut down and the new one is up to speed? Otherwise it seems like a blown out spare tire. (Its there, but is isn't doing you any good) ;)
Plano, Texas

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Well after upgrading a phpBB2 forum to phpBB3 you end up with two working forums, one a phpBB3 forum the other a working phpBB2 forum. If after upgrading to phpBB3 you want to do away with the phpBB2 forum you can just delete its folder from the web host and then use something like phpmyadmin to remove its tables from the database (of course you would make complete backups before doing any of this in case something goes wrong)

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Ok sounds good to me. Thanks...
Plano, Texas

Evilmachine

Post by Evilmachine »

Well Well.

Seems like the Message of the B5 release has gne around.
The bug tracker grows on new bugs.

I think at the weekend, there will be more progress on the project.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

tffnguy wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: tffnguy, try checking the user permission masks for one of those users. If it's set to either no, then it's not set anywhere for that user. If it's set to never, then something is turning it off.

I had to manually change each user for every forum to get it to work on all forums. There are only about 25 users on that forum so when it comes time to move my real forums up I'd be having to manually change a few thousand. Don't think I want to go through that. I tried to add all users and all forums to change the permissions and each time I tried I got a blank white screen and it froze. Had to use Back to get back to the forums.

I'd also like to say that after doing the conversion on the test forum I had hoped that when a message was posted in the old forum it would show up in the new ones and visa versa. That didn't work so is phpBB3 using different tables for the messages than phpBB2? Seems like that would really bloat the database!

All you have to do is change the permissions for the registered users group... every registered user should be automatically in that group.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Acyd Burn wrote: Because the sql query given to you is not enough - you still have normal permissions until you empty your user_permissions column.

so, then is like this

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_type = 3, user_permissions = null WHERE user_id = x
thanks
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

ecwpa wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote: Because the sql query given to you is not enough - you still have normal permissions until you empty your user_permissions column.

so, then is like this

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_type = 3, user_permissions = null WHERE user_id = x
thanks

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_type = 3, user_permissions = '' WHERE user_id = x
don't set it to null... you just want it empty.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply