phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
oldlock

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by oldlock »

Convertor etc worked perfectly for me.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

hello, i made a conversion from 2.x and can see some strange things, not really sure if they are bugs since the last beta I tested was b4, no CVS at all

- conversion ok
- html in forum description isnt working, it shows it as plain text
- i cant add new styles since STYLES disappears from the apc, now is like

* General
* Forums
* Posting
* Users and Groups
* Permissions
* Maintenance
* System

Styles used to be next to permissions, maybe devs re-organize this
screenshot_63.jpg
(36.69 KiB) Downloaded 950 times
as seen in this image, there is no Module management either :O
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

I am impressed. I just upgraded to B5 from B4. That automatic upgrade script is smooth. I hope this is the way all upgrades do from how on. I am hesitant to add mods if it means upgrades are that smooth.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Not only is styles missing, a whole bunch of ACP options are. It looks like something got really messed up =[

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

ecwpa wrote: hello, i made a conversion from 2.x and can see some strange things, not really sure if they are bugs since the last beta I tested was b4, no CVS at all

- conversion ok
- html in forum description isnt working, it shows it as plain text
- i cant add new styles since STYLES disappears from the apc, now is like

* General
* Forums
* Posting
* Users and Groups
* Permissions
* Maintenance
* System

Styles used to be next to permissions, maybe devs re-organize this
screenshot_63.jpg
as seen in this image, there is no Module management either :O

Was your account on phpBB2 the main admin account? This might be a case of your user being and admin without founder status. This would mean your in the admin group and only have access to the parts of the ACP which the admin group is allowed by default permissions, which if I remember correctly is not the everything. If you can access the admin groups permissions and make sure the the permissions are set to the full admin option so the admin group has access to the whole ACP and then test.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

main admin? you mean the first admin since the first installation?

in that case, im not the main admin, there was once a guy who was the "founder" then he left the community, now i am the main admin, for this forum

he's not the admin anymore but when i did the conversions the log shows something like:
{THAT_GUYS_NICK} 127.0.0.1 01-28-2007 04:39 PM Converted from phpBB 2.0.x to phpBB 3.0.B5

Administrators 8 Settings Members Delete

Can alter admin permission class
Can alter user permission class
Can use others permissions

the permisions for Administrators shows they cant do any of the things listed

all the originals admins are in this group, i can edit all fields on my admins profile exepting the founder thing (im not, it says), then the next think i did was trying to edit every admin, since the first user isnt admin anymore, the next user registered and actually administrator by user ID seems to be the founder because i cant edit his profile

that could be a problem, some boards have more than 1 admin, sometimes one of them left the community for a while, in a case like this you will gonna need to edit the user password through the database directly, right?

another thing, before the conversion i had certain amount of post, more than 10k, after it seems it calculate the actually existing post from me, so now my postcount is like... 300
Statistics

Total posts 20023 | Total topics 1284 | Total members 1498 | Our newest member xxxxx

I checked the memberlist by postcound and there are users at the top with 5k post, actually almost all of the top10 users have more than 7k post, some pics:
before.png
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
after.png
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
and well, sorry for my bad english guys, i try to type less for not confusing anyone :P

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

ecwpa wrote: - html in forum description isnt working, it shows it as plain text

This is by design. Search for the bug report that I submitted on a related issue.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I'll be kind and post the link.
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=7378
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

hater

Post by hater »

The styles tab (amongst others) not appearing is directly related to permissions, and the main administrators role vs the roles of forum administrators...

What you will find, in my opinion, is that with phpBB3 the permissions structure is so much more robust, that your website is no longer just a forum, but that the forum is a function of your website, if that makes sense...

The user management and permissions is the emphasis of phpBB3, with satisfying the need for a forum being of course the end result... During the conversion process, members of your old administration group are made into administrators with restricted privileges... This is by design to limit the liability of the upgrade script to allow 10 users the ability to modify every possible setting on your websites community...

The best way to repair this, is to login as the main administrator or "founder" of your community, and adjust your groups permissions from that account... The "founder" is typically the user with an id of 2; the user the original community was made with...

From there, you can reassign your group or user permissions and roles from that point going forward...

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

You can also go to your database and set your user_type to 3 to give yourself Founder status if you don't have login information for the actual founder.
You can either go in and change it manually, or run this query: (assuming your table prefix is the default "phpbb_")

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_type = 3, user_permissions = '' WHERE user_id = x
Where x = your user_id.
Last edited by Highway of Life on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

thanks Highway of Life,

now i'm founder, can edit other founders and admins but still cant see the styles tab 8O