phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
dackofdoom
Registered User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm

phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by dackofdoom »

Well, i'm extremely excited! Hoping to open up a good discussion of the newest Beta release

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=507324

Uploading all files right now... Can't wait :)
muse-ic
Registered User
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:23 am

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by muse-ic »

i'll repeat myself here:

fantastic! but is anyone able to clarify:

it says we shouldnt do the beta in a live environment, but we are able to test the conversion from 2.x to 3.x ...so if i convert my live 2.x forum, are the users still able to us the 2.x version after the conversion? Or else there is no way of testing the conversion without going live without starting a new 2.x board...which takes time to build up etc...

any guidance appreciated, thanks
DragonlordP
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:51 am

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by DragonlordP »

GOOD stuff!
Question: the devs had said that they most probably wouldn't provide an upgrade path before RC1, but now there is an upgrade path from beta4 to beta5, so does this mean that another one will follow from beta5 to RC1?
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more
User avatar
karlsemple
Registered User
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am
Location: Hereford
Contact:

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by karlsemple »

muse-ic wrote: i'll repeat myself here:

fantastic! but is anyone able to clarify:

it says we shouldnt do the beta in a live environment, but we are able to test the conversion from 2.x to 3.x ...so if i convert my live 2.x forum, are the users still able to us the 2.x version after the conversion? Or else there is no way of testing the conversion without going live without starting a new 2.x board...which takes time to build up etc...

any guidance appreciated, thanks



no need to cross post across multiple topics ;)
dackofdoom
Registered User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by dackofdoom »

As theyve said in the past, i think its all at your own risk and while they might offer an upgrade script, they will not offer any support or "pleaaaassee help me upgrade or ill lose all my post" complaints... But I think if theres a beta4-5 script, then theres probably going to be a 5-RC1
muse-ic
Registered User
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:23 am

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by muse-ic »

yes, sorry karl - i thought the other topic would be locked and this one kept open :oops:

thanks for your advice; i just don't understand about testing a conversion without using a live board - so i will hold fire on that
dackofdoom
Registered User
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by dackofdoom »

What theyre saying is you can convert your forum, but leave the phpBB2.x forum installed and just look at how the conversion worked, and refer some of your members over to the Beta 5 site. do NOT replace your 2.x forum with the Beta 5 installation
User avatar
karlsemple
Registered User
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am
Location: Hereford
Contact:

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by karlsemple »

muse-ic wrote: yes, sorry karl - i thought the other topic would be locked and this one kept open :oops:

thanks for your advice; i just don't understand about testing a conversion without using a live board - so i will hold fire on that



If you read my reply to the other topic you would see I said that the conversion leaves the p[hpBB2 installed :) Well it did when I did it :)
User avatar
Nicholas the Italian
Registered User
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 pm
Location: 46°8' N, 12°13' E
Contact:

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

DragonlordP wrote: Question: the devs had said that they most probably wouldn't provide an upgrade path before RC1, but now there is an upgrade path from beta4 to beta5, so does this mean that another one will follow from beta5 to RC1?

Likely, but devs can still change their mind and, what's worse, change database schemas. And you will lose everything and cannot complain about it.
Is it worth the risk?
User avatar
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: phpBB3 Beta 5 Discussion!

Post by Kevin Clark »

dackofdoom wrote: But I think if theres a beta4-5 script, then theres probably going to be a 5-RC1


There's also a logical stance that the beta upgrades are testing out the upgrade scripts only. Therefore, as RC1 is the first live version it makes sense to start everyone from the same baseline and not make beta5 upgradeable to RC1. That way, all problems come from the same core code. You just add to the problems if some people are on RC1 and some are on beta5 updates and some are on CVS.
Image
Post Reply