Browsing a topic and not just forum

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
turblety

Browsing a topic and not just forum

Post by turblety »

I must be blind and can't find this setting, but I have noticed (not just on my test board but also area51) that when browsing a topic, it doesn't actually tell you the members browsing the topic but just the members browsing the actual forum

Have I just mis-understood all this, or is it ment to be like this? If so do you think this is a good idea?

Mark

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Browsing a topic and not just forum

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

It is intended. I think there's too overhead keeping trace of everyone in everysingle topic.
And BTW, I don't like people being able to see what exactly in the forum I am visiting. If they can see I'm online, that's more than enough. Forum traceability is already too much to me. Topic traceability... well, that borders voyerism... :)

dhn

Post by dhn »

turblety wrote: Have I just mis-understood all this, or is it ment to be like this? If so do you think this is a good idea?

It is meant to be like this. We think that it is not a good idea to show what topic you are currently reading for privacy reasons. The forum is as far as we are willing to go.

Nicholas was a little faster (I love the topic review feature) and pretty much brought it to the point. Though it is less the performance issue than more the privacy one.
Nicholas wrote: It is intended. I think there's too overhead keeping trace of everyone in everysingle topic.
And BTW, I don't like people being able to see what exactly in the forum I am visiting. If they can see I'm online, that's more than enough. Forum traceability is already too much to me. Topic traceability... well, that borders voyerism...

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Some people forget that respecting others privacy is important... I had someone, quite a while back, ask me for a MOD that would enable them to read their users PMs!! :roll:
I think forum is just enough without going too far invading the privacy of the users, while still giving basic info.

greggish

Post by greggish »

Highway of Life wrote: I had someone, quite a while back, ask me for a MOD that would enable them to read their users PMs!! :roll:

I could see a legitimate use for that if you have an active forum where its a regular occurence that some members use the pm system to send abusive or spam pm's. The administrator can always go into the database to check the pm's, so a mod would just save some time. They are "personal" not "private" messages afterall.
WAL*BORG - Resistance is futile. You WILL shop here.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Highway of Life wrote: I had someone, quite a while back, ask me for a MOD that would enable them to read their users PMs!! :roll:

Yes, well, I had to, since I was advised of a user's misbehavior. And I just opened up the database. PMs are not encoded.
greggish wrote: They are "personal" not "private" messages afterall.

Well, I don't know. It is still a privacy violation, then, hey, it's a matter of safety-vs-privacy. Rules say that only regular Authorities can break someone's privacy.

PS: I love topic review feature too ;)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

There are very few instances where an admin would need read somebodys PM's and in the case mentioned above, the user could just forward the PM to the admin to deal with.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

greggish

Post by greggish »

Handyman wrote: There are very few instances where an admin would need read somebodys PM's and in the case mentioned above, the user could just forward the PM to the admin to deal with.

Unfortunatley having users forward abusive pm's to the admin is not the best solution, because the user could edit the pm before they forward it to get another user in trouble. Sometimes the admin needs to verify the content of potentially abusive pm's.
Last edited by greggish on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

greggish wrote:
Handyman wrote: There are very few instances where an admin would need read somebodys PM's and in the case mentioned above, the user could just forward the PM to the admin to deal with.

Unfortunatley having users forward abusive pm's to the admin is not the best solution, because the user could edit the pm before they forward it to get another user in troube. Sometimes the admin needs to verify the content ofpotentially abusive pm's.

Well... you have a really good point there... there should be a report PM button... though it'll probably have to be a mod... but it sounds like that would be the way to go.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

greggish

Post by greggish »

Handyman wrote: ...there should be a report PM button...

That would be a very useful feature.