Restriction on "search word" length

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
user99

Restriction on "search word" length

Post by user99 »

The following words in your search query were ignored: tom
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 84 characters excluding wildcards.

Why such restriction? i am using "fulltext mysql" search.

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Restriction on "search word" length

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

user99 wrote: Why such restriction? i am using "fulltext mysql" search.

I guess because short words are too common to be indexed and searchable.

But sometimes it's indeed annoying. The other day I was looking for songs by "Jet". I put "jet" in the Author box, and it said the phrase was too short. But what the f***, that's their name, what am I supposed to write?! :x :roll:

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

Go to your ACP -> Search Settings -> Set the "Min characters indexed by search" setting to whatever you want.
Then, you may have to rebuild the search index to be able to find the shortest words (ACP -> Maintenance -> Search Index).

Supra Dave

Post by Supra Dave »

Sorry you can't change that so easily. It must be configured in my.cnf (Mysql config file) with the ft_min_word_len variabele. If you don't have access to it you can't change it. But words shorter than 4 characters are too common anyway (it would kill the search performance).

I guess the normal search function (wordlist table) will have this function but who is going to use that 8O