phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EXreaction

phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by EXreaction »

So, did anyone try it yet(it is included in the latest CVS, though I do not have a phpBB2 forum, so I can't test it)? :mrgreen:

I wanna hear some results. :)

The code sure is pretty. :)
http://phpbb.cvs.sourceforge.net/phpbb/ ... vision=1.1

Uchiha Nick

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Uchiha Nick »

hmmm, I don't know what to think of it yet. I tried it 2 times ( yes 2 times ) and 2 times it partially worked. I kept getting some kind of lang include error ( ? ) while I gave the right path for the old installation. ( I had to re-upload phpbb2.x because the real instalation was under a different domain name ) and well.. I got a mysql error, one without a description ( meh ) just some random dbal->install(); notices.. nothing to great.

then, I go to the Olympus forum- I see all the forums ( yaay ) but then, when I go to the bottom of the index, it says 1 post 1 topic ( standard install topic ) and 1 user. so I enter a forum, and there are all topics / posts, but by guests.

so my take on it, it's not yet finished, or I slipped up somewhere, I think it's the latter though. the whole domain thingie might be the problem, I'll try it tomorrow on the old domain name.

there was one strange thing though- I deleted all phpbb3_ prefixed tables, I re-installed it, and then I saw something weird. it was the disable message I had entered during my first install oO

meh meh... after all this, I'm glad I back-upped everything :) well, database actually. I had a vanilla install with some styles, so it shouldn't matter :)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Uchiha Nick wrote: then, I go to the Olympus forum- I see all the forums ( yaay ) but then, when I go to the bottom of the index, it says 1 post 1 topic ( standard install topic ) and 1 user. so I enter a forum, and there are all topics / posts, but by guests.

Probably just needs to be resynced. :)

Hehe, I had that same problem with it showing all posts in viewforum as guests(it had the right user_id though, so I made a script to fix it all). But that was with a different upgrade script...upgrading a CH 1.6 board. :P
Uchiha Nick wrote: there was one strange thing though- I deleted all phpbb3_ prefixed tables, I re-installed it, and then I saw something weird. it was the disable message I had entered during my first install oO

meh meh... after all this, I'm glad I back-upped everything :) well, database actually. I had a vanilla install with some styles, so it shouldn't matter :)

Did you delete the old data in the cache/ folder?

Glad you backed up everything? You should always only test something like this on a local server...after making an exact copy of the forum you want to test it on(on your local server). Pull the data from your local server as well(not the regular one). ;)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

Glad you backed up everything? You should always only test something like this on a local server...after making an exact copy of the forum you want to test it on(on your local server). Pull the data from your local server as well(not the regular one). Wink

since I'm to lazy to configure my localhost, I just copied everything :) ( spose that's normal when you have more then enough resources )

one thing I forgot- it didn't convert everything, a bunch of users where missing as well

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Uchiha Nick wrote: one thing I forgot- it didn't convert everything, a bunch of users where missing as well

Hmm...maybe they just put it up unfinished to toy with us? :P

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

EXreaction wrote:
Uchiha Nick wrote: one thing I forgot- it didn't convert everything, a bunch of users where missing as well

Hmm...maybe they just put it up unfinished to toy with us? :P

hmm, as funny as it would be, it's kinda cruel doncha think? :P

/me just re-installed Olympus

APTX

Post by APTX »

Till now I've converted my forum about 10 times. :) I've been checking out some bugs in the convertor, like for example, the converter uses phpBB3's language names instead of 2.0's. In 2.0 it's "english", in 3.0 it's "en", which results in some errors/notices.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

APTX wrote: Till now I've converted my forum about 10 times. :) I've been checking out some bugs in the convertor, like for example, the converter uses phpBB3's language names instead of 2.0's. In 2.0 it's "english", in 3.0 it's "en", which results in some errors/notices.

those probably are the errors they show when converting, well.. they are lol.

spose we'll have to wait till the next BETA/RC anyway- I'll just re-install again

Code: Select all

Installed phpBB 3.0.B5-dev
^^

APTX

Post by APTX »

The funnier thing is, that despite of the errors, it actually works, with the exception of character conversion of... one character...
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

hmm. Is this the same script that has already been developed on the star trek forums... if so I can report success. There was an error with readonly tabs and some "text color" issue but with some very minor editing, it was moved in a matter of approximatly an hour.

Good luck, but I'd have to say, it would be tested much more sitting in RC1 or beta5...