phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Acyd Burn

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Acyd Burn »

It is able to be resumed.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Acyd Burn wrote: It is able to be resumed.

Great, thank you for the reply and the good work.

drf

Post by drf »

Great work, even if I didn't have the chance to do a serious testing...
I think the progress bar should be considered anyway, especially for large boards it is a great feature.
Anon wrote: the phpBB team takes no responsibility for any damage, emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise

PMM

Post by PMM »

Thumbsup for me :)

Just re-installed, and tried the convertor script and it transfered my old version 2.xx board without
issue.

TBH I was expecting it to fail as it was a modifyed board and not at the latest update level
infact its prob. something like 2.08 :chuckle:

Worked though :)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Acyd Burn wrote: It is able to be resumed.

To clarify (at least how I saw it working through two crashes), it picks up from the last successfully completed point. This means that if it's in the middle of converting posts, it will start from the beginning of converting posts, clearing the _posts table and starting over.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Fatal installation error

Fatal installation error

functions_phpbb20.php [ 1139 ]

FTP upload for attachments is enabled at the old board. Please disable the FTP upload option and make sure a valid upload directory is specified, then copy all attachment files to this new web accessible directory. Once you have done this, restart the convertor.

It's no bug... but it would be great if the converter gets an option for just transfering the DBto 3.x without access to any files of the former board. Normally I install software on a local server (using a DB on the live webserver) and I'm really scared of downloading 2 GB of attachments (got no broadband internet available here) just to upgrate the board to 3.x. Furthermore its easer to install 3.x in the same directory as 2x.

Best regards
Dave Remmel
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

D@ve wrote:
Fatal installation error

Fatal installation error

functions_phpbb20.php [ 1139 ]

FTP upload for attachments is enabled at the old board. Please disable the FTP upload option and make sure a valid upload directory is specified, then copy all attachment files to this new web accessible directory. Once you have done this, restart the convertor.

It's no bug... but it would be great if the converter gets an option for just transfering the DBto 3.x without access to any files of the former board. Normally I install software on a local server (using a DB on the live webserver) and I'm really scared of downloading 2 GB of attachments (got no broadband internet available here) just to upgrate the board to 3.x. Furthermore its easer to install 3.x in the same directory as 2x.

Best regards
Dave Remmel

It's telling you to turn FTP upload OFF, so that the converter can use exec() to let the server's httpd process copy the files locally, so you don't download and reupload whatever data you have.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Yes, but when I try upgrating without files I got only Internal Server Errors (500) :(
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

pappfer

Post by pappfer »

I'm really glad to see that the upgrade script is present in current CVS'.

I have a question about it, too. At the moment in my phpBB2 board most of my posts have default (latin1 AFAIK) encoding but later I've put some lines into mysql.php to change the encoding to utf8_hungarian. So half of my forum has diffenent encoding.

Can this cause any problem for the upgrade script? Or does the upgrade script convert everything to utf8?

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

pappfer wrote: I'm really glad to see that the upgrade script is present in current CVS'.

I have a question about it, too. At the moment in my phpBB2 board most of my posts have default (latin1 AFAIK) encoding but later I've put some lines into mysql.php to change the encoding to utf8_hungarian. So half of my forum has diffenent encoding.

Can this cause any problem for the upgrade script? Or does the upgrade script convert everything to utf8?

It would be able to convert just fine.
UTF-8 doesn't discriminate ;)

It even works with Chinese :) I tried it to make sure ;)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply