phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kokuei

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Kokuei »

John Hjorth wrote: Kokuei,
You could run the conversion on a local server and thereby have all the power in you computer available.

I guess its time to get my head into the books then, since i don't know a thing about setting up local servers and databases. :|

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Kokuei,

There are a few "all in one box" local servers available out there, which do not require even basic knowledge about Apache,PHP, MySQL etc. to get them up running. I have had such a thingy installed locally for about a half year now, and I use it for testing of translation on phpBB2 and phpBB3 and a huge premodded phpBB2 package, that I maintain a localized language package for, and for other kind of testing. It's much faster than testing online, and you have all the power and space available, that is available on your computer. I simply love it, and can't live without it now. You are welcome to send me a PM, if you want further info.
Last edited by John Hjorth on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

google for XAMPP or WAMP :)

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

John Hjorth wrote: There are a few "all in one box" local servers available out there, which do not require even basic knowledge about Apache,PHP, MySQL etc. to get them up running.

I'm also using such a solution. I think it isn't wrong to post a link here, because it isn't spam or so. I am in no way involved in that project and it is free, so i hope it is oke. I'm using XAMPP on Windows for a couple of years now. On windows installing a local testing server is a hell, so i really like these packages.

Oke.. let's start with my experience converting a quite modded forum with 100K+ posts. I tested it with a local mirror of that site and i'm quite content with the result. During the conversion, i really got to much errors. I think the most of them are due to the fact that the language dirs changed as mentioned before. However after about 20 minutes the convertor stated that the conversion was succesfull and with great joy a noticed that the conversion was indeed succesfull. The majoriy of data has been converted succesfully e.g. forums, posts, PM, users.. the rest i haven't tested yet, but a part of my community is going to play with the converted test board to see if there are parts that haven't been converted.

so.. to the devs.. a big WELL DONE.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Anyone know if there is anyway to get around this problem? A way to "chunk" the script perhaps?

The convertor defines two values for this in install/install_convert.php

Code: Select all

// Batch size, can be adjusted by the conversion file
	var $batch_size = 6000;
	// Number of rows to be inserted at once (extended insert) if supported
	var $num_wait_rows = 30;
if you want less memory consumed you can lower both values, for example a batch size of 2000 and num_wait_rows to 10.

I also may remind everyone that - since the convertor is in CVS - no support is given, no guarantees, etc. Own risk. ;) Of course i am happy that some tried it out. :D

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

Acyd Burn wrote: if you want less memory consumed you can lower both values, for example a batch size of 2000 and num_wait_rows to 10.

Maybe this could also me mentioned somewhere, or be an option to choose. My guess is.. that a lot of user are going to be confronted with out of memory errors..

(I haven't tested it with my own host)

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Acyd Burn wrote: if you want less memory consumed you can lower both values, for example a batch size of 2000 and num_wait_rows to 10.

I also may remind everyone that - since the convertor is in CVS - no support is given, no guarantees, etc. Own risk. ;) Of course i am happy that some tried it out. :D

Just for the record, the reduction of the batch size to 2000 and num_wait_rows to 10 worked perfectly for me. Though the problem with language still remains.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/convertors/functions_phpbb20.php on line 188: phpbb_set_encoding() [function.phpbb-set-encoding]: Unable to access ./../../phpbb2022/language/lang_en/lang_main.php..... and so on
It's proborly this error that results in the "å,ä,ö" bug. But i find one thing strange.
• In index.php the names of the forums and the forum descriptions is cut off at any occuernce of "å,ä,ö".
• In viewforum.php all therse characters are replaced by a '?'.
• IN viewtopic.php all works fine.

Yes, i think I will submit a bug-report in this.

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

_Kilian_ wrote: I'm also using such a solution. I think it isn't wrong to post a link here, because it isn't spam or so. I am in no way involved in that project and it is free, so i hope it is oke. I'm using XAMPP on Windows for a couple of years now. On windows installing a local testing server is a hell, so i really like these packages.

I am using the latest XAMPP on WinXP, which has nearly the same configuration as my webhost. It is very comfortable I think. You only have to type "localhost" in your browser- then you're in your local server. :) It's even easy to use for newbies like my- but of course, back to topic- no further discussions about XAMPP or similar.
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Uchiha Nick wrote: hmm, I did resync one forum, and it shows as normall ( yet the count at the bottom still doesn't work )

so I suppose that isn't the right way as well :(
Try resyncing all of your forums, then in the ACP > Main, in the drop down menu below the stats, select Resynchronize Statistics, then Resynchronize post counts.

That should set your post counts correct.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

ByteEnable wrote: I wanted to do some debug before I posted a bug report. Here is what I found:

I had category-hierarchies installed. In the phpbb_forums table there also existed forum names that were the same as the category names. However, they had a cat_id of '0'. The script was using $cats_added[$row['cat_id']] to index against the categories. There was no index for these forums, since they were not really forums but category names. So I just deleted all the forums with a cat_id of 0. Worked like a charm after that!

Byte

Wohoho!

The forums worked after that? I just finished making a super cool CH 1.6 to phpBB3 forums upgrade script(the one we used to have wasn't any good...and also, CH 1.6(maybe earlier as well) does not use the phpbb_categories table, only the phpbb_forums table(learned this the hard way :P).

What I had to do was start the script with pulling the very first category(from the forums folder) then I had a function to add subforums for that forum(and in the subforums function I had it so it could call itself, so it would continually add any subforums(that were under the subforum it created) until it was done.

I love recursive functions! :D