phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
karlsemple

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by karlsemple »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
karlsemple wrote: It is a shame this resynchronises the post counts, it means on a heavily pruned phpBB2 forum where the posters have post counts of up 20,000 end up with 5,000 posts after the conversion has run.

Bug tracker, IMO.
Since pruning/resync behavior has been changed lately, an option about this in the convertor should be included.

As for sscape problem, can it be a timeout issue? In this case, the question to answer is: can it be resumed? if no, why? if yes, does it crash at the same place?...

I have not tested the latest cvs of the converter so It could have changed, but I have submitted it to the bug tracker anyway, see what the devs say :)

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

very good! thank you for putting it into the bug tracker!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Good news! :D

Log Message:
- allow converting from one database to another, no need for tables to be in one database anylonger (this also allows switching from one DBMS that was used with phpBB2 to another DBMS supported by phpBB3 including new systems available in Olympus only)

Thank you naderman!

icydude

Post by icydude »

I just successfully converted from a heavily modded phpbb 2.0.19 to 3.0.b5
No issues what so ever.

On a side note i think the conversion instructions could be layed out a little better.
I am no genius when it comes to php or mysql so figuring out that i had to install phpbb3 into the same database only with a different prefix took a little bit of searching phpbb.com.

But I am now running live on b5 and have no regrets as it provides more features to me and my users as well as my staff then the old modded phpbb2.

:D

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

icydude wrote: But I am now running live on b5 and have no regrets as it provides more features to me and my users as well as my staff then the old modded phpbb2.

You do know there's no support for live B5 installs don't you.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Kevin Clark wrote:
icydude wrote: But I am now running live on b5 and have no regrets as it provides more features to me and my users as well as my staff then the old modded phpbb2.

You do know there's no support for live B5 installs don't you.

Not only that, you will get no support when you update it to RC either has converted forums during the beta 5 stages are not going to be supported when updated to RC as per the post on phpbb.com :) Also worth noting as per the mentioned post, the converter included in the beta 5 package was bugged and there is a possibility these bugs could cause problems ;)

icydude

Post by icydude »

Supported or not i felt it was not worth my time waiting for the 2010 release of gold. ;)

And with as many people running b5 as there are, converting to rc1 will be a task anyone can do.
Hell there are 60+ mods out for Olympus already, sure they are not approved but they are fun to play around with.

If you want bugs to be found for fixing or security loop holes you shove it into a live environment.
But you guys must not be interested in that.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

I tried it a week ago with a board with 120,000 users, 45,000 posts, and about 14,000 topics. It took about 4 hours, but everything was sucessful! :)

kjtocool

Post by kjtocool »

I'm worried about my board as it is approaching 900,000 posts. Hopefully converting will go smoothly, I plan to try when RC 1 is released.

Case

Post by Case »

You could always give the converter a try first. Grab beta 5 and give it a test run.