phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
_Kilian_

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by _Kilian_ »

I have some questions about the conversion, just some things i don't get.

Why topics with id 2 to 6002 ?!? While i have only 1512 topics on my forum

I guess this is just a summary of the speed at wich the database is filling, about 500 rows insterted per second.

But why it ends at 84k, while i have about 109k posts?!?

just wondering ;)

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Looks like I'll be waiting a little bit to try this one out.

code reader

where is graham?

Post by code reader »

i have no intention to stir any mud, and if this question is sensitive, or politically incorrect, just delete it or edit it into oblivion.
this is pure curiosity:
for a long time it was clear that the v2 -> v3 converter is the responsibility of graham, who also appeared to be its main developer.
now i don't see any trace of him in the commits, the discussions, and the bug-reports assignments. what happened?
i know that exposing the inner working of the dev team is unusual, but i, for one, would appreciate a glance into the question of "who does what". of course, if there is any reason not to let us know whats going on, there is little we can do about it.

so devs, if there is no state secret involved, please tell us: what's up with graham? is he still on the team? why isn't he seemed to be involved with the converter any more? and if he is really out of the picture, who takes his place as far as the converter is concerned?
thanks.

_Kilian_

Re: where is graham?

Post by _Kilian_ »

code reader wrote: so devs, if there is no state secret involved, please tell us: what's up with graham?

I've also noticed this fact..and i am also wondering why we didn't see a commit from Graham for the past couple of weeks.. months?

dhn

Post by dhn »

Real life is what is happening. Project from the company that does actually pay him for working has him unavailable to phpBB for the time being.

code reader

Post by code reader »

hope they pay him well and he is happy.
is it a temporary thing, or is he off phpbb development for the foreseeable future?
who is the main person responsible for the converter now?
thanks.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

so devs, if there is no state secret involved, please tell us: what's up with graham? is he still on the team? why isn't he seemed to be involved with the converter any more? and if he is really out of the picture, who takes his place as far as the converter is concerned?
thanks.

Ashe wrote the 2.0.x convertor and i adapted it to 3.0.x and wrote the phpBB 2.0.x conversion. Graham then was assigned to do the remaining convertor tasks, writing convertors for other forum solutions, fixing bugs, extending the inner workings, etc.

So, i think all developers are able to work on every section of the software...

Balint

Post by Balint »

Hi!

I had the language errors too while converting (local WAMP from apachefriends.org, MySQL 5.0.21; PHP 4.4.2). And of course I "lost" the subforums (had Simple subforums installed). But after reassigning the forums to the desired parent it seems to work fine. Stats are the same except for Number of posts: in the old forum there are 1523 posts, B5-dev reports 1527.

EDIT: phpMyAdmin reports 1527 for both _posts tables?!

Greets,
Bálint
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

dhn wrote: Real life is what is happening. Project from the company that does actually pay him for working has him unavailable to phpBB for the time being.
That hit home... I completely understand that situation. I've lived it for the past 4 months.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Balint wrote: EDIT: phpMyAdmin reports 1527 for both _posts tables?

phpMyAdmin does not seem to count the rows correctly every time. :P
(I noticed it quite a bit with the forum I converted...which had a little more than 85,000 posts)