phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cwcollector

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by cwcollector »

How do you use the upgrade script? It just gives me a blank page when I try and run it?

alycad

Post by alycad »

cwcollector wrote: How do you use the upgrade script? It just gives me a blank page when I try and run it?

Hi there,

You must use the script this way:

[Removed]

Best reg,

Alvaro Martins
Last edited by SHS` on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: CVS is UNSUPPORTED. This means asking or giving. Persistant offenders will be warned/banned as req'd
http://www.globalfree.net" target="_blank
Just feel it

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

Oddly enough, it never gives me the option to convert. I am using the same database.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

cwbullet wrote: Oddly enough, it never gives me the option to convert. I am using the same database.

Which version are you using?

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Have gone though the normal installation process of the 3.x board first?

Regards, Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

cwcollector wrote: How do you use the upgrade script? It just gives me a blank page when I try and run it?

You can try and lower the values in install_convert.php. The blank page could mean that you have "timedout" to the server. It worked for me.

Code: Select all

// Batch size, can be adjusted by the conversion file
	var $batch_size = 2000;
	// Number of rows to be inserted at once (extended insert) if supported
	var $num_wait_rows = 10;

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

I have the CVS version. I did go through the installation but can not find the update button.

oldlock

Post by oldlock »

While not a 'true' test I have tested the upgrader on my local machine (running xampp), it performed perfectly. I am quite keen to test it on the actual forum / server. Can someone just confirm that (having performed a full backup etc) that the process will have no effect on the current forum ? and that can continue to run with no adverse effects ? I am assuming that the converter will work on a snapshot of the database as it was at the moment of conversion & that any changes made to the original database after the conversion will have no effect ...

If thats the case I can advise a small number of users of the url of the phpBB3 forum post conversion and they can explore it & when testing is complete / RC1 comes along it, together with the new tables can be deleted with no adverse effects.

TIA

Paul

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

oldlock wrote: While not a 'true' test I have tested the upgrader on my local machine (running xampp), it performed perfectly. I am quite keen to test it on the actual forum / server. Can someone just confirm that (having performed a full backup etc) that the process will have no effect on the current forum ? and that can continue to run with no adverse effects ? I am assuming that the converter will work on a snapshot of the database as it was at the moment of conversion & that any changes made to the original database after the conversion will have no effect ...

If thats the case I can advise a small number of users of the url of the phpBB3 forum post conversion and they can explore it & when testing is complete / RC1 comes along it, together with the new tables can be deleted with no adverse effects.

TIA

Paul

Yes, I can confirm that. We're on a dedicated and I copied our forum database to a new account. You can see the phpbb2 forum running live - and the phpbb3 forum the converter moved over.

[Removed]
Last edited by SHS` on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam is not welcome here.

oldlock

Post by oldlock »

OK, thanks.

Will give it a try.