Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Locked
User avatar
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Kevin Clark »

Stallyon wrote: We will have a Beta 6 simply to iron out the bugs and kinks in the new Prosilver

This quote from SHS a couple of days ago suggests otherwise
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26342&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 00#p183971
Image

User avatar
Stallyon
Registered User
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: BNE
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Stallyon »

I got that from no where. It's just my opinion for heaven sakes. You guys need to get out in the sun more. 8O

User avatar
karlsemple
Registered User
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am
Location: Hereford
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by karlsemple »

Stallyon wrote: I got that from no where. It's just my opinion for heaven sakes. You guys need to get out in the sun more. 8O



You never gave it as opinion, the context in which you posted it was suggesting it was fact, so rather than us getting out in the sun maybe you should check the way in which you post things :)

User avatar
WhiteWolfSix
Registered User
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:05 am
Location: 48°43′N, 19°08′E

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

karlsemple: We know that facts about further release of phpbb is in team's hands. :mrgreen: All others 'facts' are more-less personal opinions, speculations, or simple jokes. :lol:

Suspecting RC1 very soon, in Winter 2008! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

User avatar
karlsemple
Registered User
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 am
Location: Hereford
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by karlsemple »

WhiteWolfSix wrote: karlsemple: We know that facts about further release of phpbb is in team's hands. :mrgreen: All others 'facts' are more-less personal opinions, speculations, or simple jokes. :lol:

Suspecting RC1 very soon, in Winter 2008! :lol: :lol: :lol:



Maybe you know the facts along with some of the others here using this forum, but when someone states something in a factual manner there will be a lot of users who are some what less clued up will think that kind of statement is based on something official. If the user meant it as an opinion then fair enough but they way it was phrased made it sound like a statement and thus I wanted to be sure of a few things
  • I had not missed something and they were correct
  • when I realised they I had not missed something I wanted to make sure other users were not confused by what he stated :)

asinshesq
Registered User
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by asinshesq »

nicopaul wrote: I think phpBB 4.0 should be kept a secret until it is a RC. That way, they can avoid all the hype caused by its suspenseful prelude.

Actually, I hear it will be called prophpbb :mrgreen:
Alan

SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by SamG »

Garrydw wrote: Sure, let’s define "do care"...
Thanks, Garry, I appreciate that.

There's much I can agree with in what you say in terms of the problems the phpBB 3.0 development cycle (and any lack of tact and diplomacy about it all) may have caused many, many people. I'm not sure it's possible to disagree. And my impression is that the lead developer is sympathetic.

Where you and I are going to have to disagree is in the perception (held by many) that this can be easily remedied by more information and that the fact that it isn't being remedied is clear evidence that "they" don't care. I find that very difficult to believe. It might be an easy thing to say in frustration, but a much more difficult thing to prove. As a community, we've been down the road of estimates and updates enough to know that even with these in hand, it's not been possible to make business decisions regarding phpBB 3.0 unless you have lattitude in making them. That's the bottom line. And in my experience it's not an unknown to have that happen even with commercial software, though always inconvenient.

It's also worth noting that the intent (according to public discussion—which, I've found, is always subject to change) is to do things differently with the next release cycle. It may be true that seeing is believing, but I'm willing to give the development team the benefit of the doubt. I can see what problems have plagued the 3.0 development process, and I can see the developers being able to approach the project differently to avoid repeats. Some problematic things that happened during 2.2/3.0 development were beyond predicition or control, so there are always possible points of failure. But even these possible points of failure are not clear indicators of indifference.

In short, I can readily sympathize with your frustration, but I think you're being unjust to the developers, at least under present circumstances.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

User avatar
Stallyon
Registered User
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: BNE
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Stallyon »

karl, do you see anything in my profile that would suggest I am "in the know" at all on the development of Olympus? I thought people would be generally smarter than this. The title of this thread contains the word "suspecting", so I figured, in the spirit of keeping on subject, anything I posted would also be speculation. If I was giving inside information, it wouldn't be a good idea to post it in a thread like this anyhow; I would be best off posting something like that in a new thread.

P.S. Does this also mean that there really will be a stove, dishwasher and bathroom tissue dispenser built into phpBB4? ;)

ac_roma
Registered User
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 am
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by ac_roma »

wait guys i think realey bug is less (in the last 3 days) thats is perfect

i think if bugs add be at this way we will see rc1 in the next month (maybe) ;)

User avatar
Handyman
Registered User
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:09 am
Location: Where no man has gone before!
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Handyman »

Garrydw wrote: LMAO... I just read this for the first time...

Area51 @ phpBB.com
phpBB's testing ground of bleeding edge developmental code

Sorry guys, if it's going to take 5 years to get a release out, I would think about changing that tag line a bit. :D

Just to clear this up a bit… it's not the bleeding edge code for the internet or code in general, it's the bleeding edge phpBB3 code.
This site is truly running bleeding edge phpBB3 development code.
It has nothing to do with the development or how long it takes… as long as this site is using CVS greater than the stable release, it's considered bleeding edge code.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Image

Locked